Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Joining a quilt guild? >

Joining a quilt guild?

Joining a quilt guild?

Old 01-02-2017, 08:35 PM

Default Joining a quilt guild?

I'm thinking of joining a quilt guild that is in my small town.
I've never belonged to a guild before, and I'm a little nervous about going.

if you are OR have been in a guild before....what were the pros and cons??
Old 01-02-2017, 08:46 PM

Some are great, some are not. Most let you attend a meeting or two before you officially join. That way you can see if their activities match your desires. Most have some combination of classes, challenges, and service work in addition to enjoying each other's company. You want to make sure you like the people in the guild.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 PM

Nothing to be nervous about. Just show up and make a serious effort to be nice and helpful and share and make new friends. Don't go when you are in a bad mood, depressed when life is throwing you a curve ball, or feeling overall negative. Your quilting skills will grow and soon you will look forward to attending every meeting. Good luck
Old 01-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

Along with finding out if you like the people ... you will want to find out what commitment they expect from you as a member. Some are very lax as to member expectations. Whereas some expect a very heavy commitment from you as a member. Are you wiling to make that commitment? (whatever it is?)
Old 01-02-2017, 10:34 PM

I have attended several guilds but am member of only one. I really enjoy going and even have been on a committee. I like the fact that we don't have a quilt police and no one is put down that is not to say that we don't have great quilters. Some have had their quilts win prizes and ribbons in Road to California Show, and also International Quilt Show in Houston, Texas.

I really enjoy going on bus trips to quilt shows and also going to retreats. I am a people person so I make friends easily..of course I know most of the ladies in the guild because I was a local quilt store manager for many years and many were my customers.

Just be yourself, and most quilters are very friendly and helpful and don't feel compelled to do anything that you are not comfortable with. You won't know until you visit the guild and small town guilds are the best..
Old 01-03-2017, 02:31 AM

If you are nervous about going, bring along a project or part of a project that you are working on, ask someone a question about it...even if it is only for an opinion such as, how would you quilt this? or I am stuck on _____________(fill in the blank) can you help me? Quilters as a rule love to help with most any quilting question. It will break the ice for you and you will get a feel for the kind of group they are.In my experience a very few guilds are very closed to new people but most are very welcoming. I live in a small town and belong to both of the guilds in town. They each have their own "personality" but we always welcome visitors and always are looking for new members.
Guilds are a great way to make new friends with like interests, get exposure to new ideas, and gain quilting knowledge.
Go a couple of times, it is better not to decide with only one visit.
Think of it this way, you have a lot to offer them as well.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:51 AM

All excellent advice. Yes bring a project or two to show & tell. Don't sit back and expect others to draw you out. We gather at Guilds to share our liove of sewing and quilting. That truly is the ice breaker. Have fun! You will be glad that you went.
sandy
Old 01-03-2017, 05:15 AM

I compare joining a Guild to joining a church. You can go for years every Sunday, sit in the same booth and never get to know anyone. Look to see what classes, community activities and small groups that are going on. Sometimes you run into cliques, but for the most part people are friendly. Not all Guilds run the same or contain the same people. Look around, you may find some terrific new friends.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

You never know how a guild will be until you get to know the members. Don't go and sit in the back waiting for someone to speak. Go in and start introducing yourself. Bring a quilt or project you have made for Show and Tell. It will take several meetings to get a feel for what is going on. Most guilds are very informal. The guild I like the most is not in my town but an hour away. The local guild had closed purse strings, not my style. Another guild close by is too formal, all business. A guild that you truly enjoy is a blessing to belong to.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:25 AM

I think the bigger question you should ask is why you're going. What are you desiring to do or experience? By determining this beforehand you'll be able to ascertain if it's the right fit. Oftentimes people fall in with a group or practice and become disenchanted because their desires go unmet. With that I will say that it's okay not to join. It's perfectly acceptable to want something else. Fit and enjoyment go hand in hand. Good luck.