Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Juki 2010 Owners - Cleaning? >

Juki 2010 Owners - Cleaning?

Juki 2010 Owners - Cleaning?

Old 03-03-2014, 05:07 AM

Default Juki 2010 Owners - Cleaning?

How often and where to do clean out your machine? How and where do you oil it? I have a new one and am just curious. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:22 AM

Didn't it come with a manual? If not, see if you can find on online. I don't have a Juki but I would think it should have had some kind of manual with it.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 PM

alleyopp1, of course it comes with a manual. I am looking for practical advice from someone who has one. That is what the board is for.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:35 PM

I have the Brother PQ1500S which is pretty much the same machine. I give it a quick dusting around the bobbin race after a bobbin change. When I'm finished with my project I give it a good going over by taking out the bobbin, cleaning the race and dusting out that area. I remove the feed dog plate to clean the lint out of the feed dogs and around them. I give everything a drop of oil where the manual indicates then I run it for a few minutes to work the oil into the nooks and cranny's. I replace the bobbin case with no bobbin ( prevents rust ) put the machine back together, Wipe off the case of the machine to remove dust and finger prints, put a piece of cloth under the presser foot, lower the needle and the presser foot and put it away 'til the next time I use it. I do this with all of my machines.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:02 PM

As Alleyoop1 suggests, the manual is the best place to check where and how often to oil. I had no idea where to put the oil until I checked the manual. It has a good illustration of exactly were you need to place the oil.

Mitch's mom gives a good description of where to clean the dust. I dust more often if I am using a thread that is particularly linty.

In addition, the 2010 has a trap door in the bottom of the case. I turn the machine on its side. I open it and dust everywhere I can see. I use small artist's paint brushes. I like this feature as it allows me to really gather up all the "dust bunnies" that drop to the bottom.

Enjoy your machine. It is very solid and has a really nice stitch. I find I use the Juki most often for piecing and machine quilting and use my Bernina 630 for embroidery. Have fun!
Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 PM

Thanks Mitch's Mom. I like the idea of after each project. It sounds like you take great care of your machines. I have checked the manual and there is no time suggested for when to clean, so your way sounds great. I know I have ignored the other machines in my life, just didn't want to do the Juki that way. PAMAR, I also use the artists brushes, they work great.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:28 PM

The bobbin area should be cleaned and oiled about every 3 hours of sewing time. If you look inside the bobbin door, and turn the handwheel, you can see that one part of the hook turns, and the other is stationary. You want to put a drop of oil between these two parts. It's a good idea to clean and oil the take-up area and under the machine about every 6 months. I believe there are 6 screws in the bottom, plastic tray. With the plastic tray off, you can use a can of air. (I know someone will be upset with me saying that, but the particles have a place to go with the tray off. We use an air compressor at the shop.) In the take-up area, put a drop of oil on each joint. Underneath, put a drop of oil wherever metal rubs on metal. The nylon/plastic parts don't need oil.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-05-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

If I cleaned under my machine about every six months, it and I would be in serious trouble. Lint would be so packed in there I would have to dig it out. I sew everyday. I sweep mine out with a sewing machine brush with each bobbin change. I oil my machines - babylock jane and juki tl98qe about every six hours or so. Been lots of talk about this.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:14 PM

I'm with Jingle...
I sew everyday and oil and clean every day....
Old 03-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Wow! You are a serious sew-er! I've seen the lint piled about 1/2" thick in a couple of those Juki's.
You take good care of your machines. Not everyone does.