Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just got home from Pacific International quilt fest...weeee! >

Just got home from Pacific International quilt fest...weeee!

Just got home from Pacific International quilt fest...weeee!

Old 10-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Default Just got home from Pacific International quilt fest...weeee!

Oh now that was a lot of fun! I went Saturday & Sunday and just had a ton of fun. I went by myself which was nice because nobody was rushing me! My husband went to Santa Clara with me, but the hotel we stayed in is adjacent to Great America, so he went and rode roller coasters (which I hate) while I geeked out on quilts. It was perfect!

The one thing I left behind and can't stop thinking about: Gammill Charm longarm machine. I guess it's a long arm...it doesn't have the big rack like most do, it's a stationary machine that you use like a DSM but has a huuuuge throat. I like it because it's a machine I could buy without having to buy a bigger house to hold it! I'm not ready to buy it now, but in a year or so I just might be! Would be lovely for quilting king-size quilts.

The quilts were gorgeous, though. So many incredible pieces of artwork there, from all over the world! A few I recognized from some of my magazines, so that was neat.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-20-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: pm to member
Old 10-20-2013, 02:19 PM

I was there on Thursday, opening day. It was very, very crowded. Your pictures are good. Incredible work went into these fantastic quilts. The attention to details make them all show stoppers. Lots and lots of vendors. One day there just wasn't enough. We had to park in the Great America parking lot because everything on site was full.
Next year we might not want to go on opening day.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

There are several manufacturers of the sit down quilting machine with more throat space. The HQ Sweet 16 and Innova also markets a sitdown model. You should check them out.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:04 PM

We went to PIQF on Thur, Fri, Sat; about 4 hr ea day. It gets to be overload because there's so much to see. Judy wanted to look at LA and get thread and see quilts. I wanted thread, machine embroidery book, tweezers for machine attaching beads, get a part fixed for my LA, quilts and see what's new. We both got it all done and a lot more. I loved the new quilting patterns used on show quilts and quilts at vendor booths. Comparing the different LA machines all in one place was fantastic. Big discounts for LA at the show. There was something wonderful on each one. Got a cone of thread from 2 manufacturers (Glide and Omni from Superior with a color chart) Got so jazzed, I want to get right onto my LA machine. Wish I'd taken a list of feet needed for my Bernina, they were 35% off at the show. Seriously considered getting Artista 7, big discount at the show. Ready to put in hotel reservations for next year. Road to Ca coming up in Jan-see ya all there.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:48 PM

Wow. Glad you had such a great time. That's what I call a mini vacation. I could sure use one about now.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:21 AM

I don't see any pictures!
Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 AM

I went on Thursday with friends. We rode the Capitol Corridor train. It drops you off right there at the stadium, Great America, convention center. It was a very crowded day, but fun to see the quilts. I am not good at shopping - stimulus overload I think. This is my 4th year of making the trip. I took a few pictures, but I guess they would be censored it I tried to post them . It was wonderful and inspiring.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:34 AM

It truly was! I went Thursday as well. I walked out with my head spinning.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like such a wonderful time!!!
Old 10-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Banned

I went on Saturday and it was spectacular! I was so inspired when I left and I agree DebraK my mind was spinning too! I do not see any photos either....