Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just got home from Pacific International quilt fest...weeee! >

Just got home from Pacific International quilt fest...weeee!

Just got home from Pacific International quilt fest...weeee!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 AM

About the pictures; my post was edited and link removed because I guess it broke the rules to post links to Flikr. Sorry!

Later when I have more time I might try to resize & upload some of my favorites.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Thanks for Sewnoma for the explanation why the pictures were missing. I was wondering why some posts of quilt show pictures were allowed and others were not. I enjoy looking at the pictures from quilt shows. There's no way I could see all these beautiful quilts on my budget. I never get tired of looking at quilts and it has made me a better quilter seeing them all, especially here on Quilt Board.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 PM

At many of the shows I've been to, the management makes a CD of the show quilts and sells them. Mancuso, might still have them for sale.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
There are several manufacturers of the sit down quilting machine with more throat space. The HQ Sweet 16 and Innova also markets a sitdown model. You should check them out.
Thanks Feline, I will take a look. The Gammill I was looking at had a 22" throat, which is the largest I've seen for a sit-down...BUT I haven't done a ton of research yet either so it's entirely possible someone else makes a machine of similar size. I'm about a year or so away from that sort of investment so I have lots of time to research and test drive machines. Who knows what will come out between now and then!? That Charm just...charmed me!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 AM

I went all day Thursday and Friday. I love the vendors and talking to them about their products. I was surprised about the grand prize winners--seemed more "crafty"--lots of jewels and sparkles. Of course we loved what we saw, but wondered the role of sewing vs gluing; wall hanging vs quilt; and photograph vs pattern. If anything, it proved a lively discussion.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 AM

I went on Friday, traffic was horrendous, took us forever to get there. All the quilts were astounding, especially the ones from Japan, what a feast, I did not like the lay out however, we had to walk thru corridors of very crowded vendors stands in order to see all the quilts. I felt sorry for the quilts on display on those locations, it was impossible to admire or take a pic of them without being jostled or having a head walking on it.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 AM

A group of eight of us also went on the capital corridor amtrak ride. We stayed Friday and Saturday nights so were able to do bits of show and bits of shopping and tons of fun and laughter without any driving or parking stress. Highly recommend this if you have a group of buddies to go with. My favorite quilt was the jingle bell horses. It was a stunning piece of work with fabulous details, right down to the eyelashes. Can't wait to do it again.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Valerie Ann View Post
was surprised about the grand prize winners--seemed more "crafty"--lots of jewels and sparkles. Of course we loved what we saw, but wondered the role of sewing vs gluing; wall hanging vs quilt; and photograph vs pattern.
Since the show has an 'innovative' category, it really encourages entries like that.

I'm confused by wall hanging vs. quilt. The wall hangings all are quilts. Do you mean Wall hanging vs bed size? A man at the Des Moines AQS show noted if you want a good chance at a ribbon, hand quilt a bed quilt- there were only 5 entries. I can think of a good reason why: time.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 AM

Don't know how far you are from Houston, but the International Quilt Festival is Oct. 30-Nov. 3. It is amazing!! If anyone can go, then you will be delighted. I plan to go Thurs. and Fri. all day.

Originally Posted by BETTY62 View Post
Wow. Glad you had such a great time. That's what I call a mini vacation. I could sure use one about now.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:40 PM

I used to go when we lived in the SF Bay Area. I miss it. I always enjoyed it.