Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me??? >

Is it just me???

Is it just me???

Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 PM

I made a beautiful batik table topper. The fabrics were quite pricey. (I love this topper.) So, I use a clear plastic table cloth over my beautiful topper. Problem solved. I do really like the idea of scotch guarding it.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:22 PM

My MIL has a beautiful blue and white irish chain on her table in her eat-in kitchen. She covers it with heavier clear vinyl off a roll at Joann's. It fits her decor and is beautiful. I spend a lot of time checking out those tiny stitches while chatting with her. I would use a quilt as a tablecloth, too,if I had a quilt to coordinate with my dining room and I wouldn't just point out my mistakes.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:58 AM

I use a quilted table cloth all the time. I may be the Spray and Wash queen. I have never had an issue.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 AM

If the materials were cheap enough, I would do it. I've moaned about this before, as material here, on average, is $26 per metre and one can easily spend an extra $100 on wadding, backing and thread. Nobody wants to put a $300 quilt under a bowl of beetroot. I would love the luxury.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:06 AM

I only have one quilt that I've used as a table topper. I went to Wal-mart and got a piece of plastic (it's on a roll in fabric dept.) just a bit bigger than my table to cover it. Comes in various thicknesses.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 AM

I have made table runners with fall and holiday scraps to use as hot pads under our holiday dishes and to help soak up some of the drips from serving dishes. I think of table cloths as decoration that come off of the table when large groups of family are around. The runners brighten up the table without taking up space for the many extra dishes.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:39 AM

I have a " formal" dining room........yes, I know that is obsolete nowadays.....but anyway.....I have used clear plastic ..from Walmart or Joann's on top of my tableclothes forever......I would have spent a fortune replacing linen or hand embroidered tableclothes otherwise.......cheaper to replace the plastic...have it in three sizes( have 3 leaves). Do make tablerunners for it and also for coffee table in living room, den, also fireplace mantels-with a drop on point....here's one...toppers for toilet tank....thinking about lid covers........just have to keep cutting, piecing,quilting!!
Old 06-05-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Quilts are to be used, that is what they are made for. If you make something that you want to cherish, then hang it on the wall. Table runners are make to work with all the hazardous of being on the table. By the time this table runner is stained, there might be another table runner you wish to make.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 AM

My twins are now 17 and my oldest 23 and all boys, but I have always had something on my table, the latest being the table Placemats ( in album on profile many more to come as I get pies resized))that have made for samples for the store and etc.. I always spray mine with Scotch Guard fabric. It is amazing stuff wash and spray again.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 AM

The way I see it, I make quilts to be used and loved and especially to be washed! One of my favorite gifts to give to newlyweds is a picnic basket and a picnic quilt.