Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it just me??? >

Is it just me???

Is it just me???

Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Is it just me???

I'm looking around for table toppers and I come across this: Top a Picnic Table with a Star Block Quilt.

My question: Why would anyone put a quilted piece that took a long time to create under food? I think of toppers as dressing up a table but to be taken off when there is ketchup, mustard and kids eating at that table.

Is it just me???
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM

Well, I wouldn't put a bed quilt on a picnic table, but I have made quilts specifically for picnicking that are used on the ground - I wouldn't care if those were used on top of a picnic table.

I don't know if I'd use a star block quilt for that purpose though...I make scrappy crazy quilts for that use instead. Triangles are still tricky for me so I don't do those except for special quilts! LOL
Old 06-04-2014, 08:01 AM

[QUOTE=marcycn;6744472] when there is ketchup, mustard and kids eating at that table. [QUOTE]

Or husbands....

I would do it if I had a clear sheet of acrylic or glass or something to put on top.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:18 AM

I use quilts as table cloths all the time. I don't have young children and that does make a difference. If we are going to have something that is especially staining like spaghetti then I will either use something else or place mats over top the quilt. When they get dirty I wash them and treat any spots if necessary. A lot depends on the fabric used too. If it is a busy fabric then spots don't show on it so after washing if there's a smudge or two it goes unnoticed.

I enjoy quilting for the process of quilting. How many show quilts and wall hangings can one have so I make things that are used everyday not so much for the end product (although I do enjoy the end product too) but rather the fun of making it and learning something new. Rarely do I repeat patterns.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:37 AM

I made a tablecloth quilt once. It was for a swap and I gave it away. So, I guess I really didn't think about mustard and ketchup much.

I've been tempted to use quilts for tablecloths but don't do it because I don't have a piece of clear plastic to cover it up. That's the only way I'd do it.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:44 AM

I would only use it for a decoration, or if I was the only one eating on it because I'm clean!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 AM

I use ScotchGuard on all my table runners, placemats, pot holders, etc. No kids at home but MrJanRn makes enough of a mess. After washing the items I re-spray with ScotchGuard.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
I use ScotchGuard on all my table runners, placemats, pot holders, etc.
Even though this is a 'normal' thought, I never thought of it. :-( I'll keep this in mind. I also never thought of putting a piece of plastic over it so you can see the beauty but not mess it up. My MIL always had plastic over her linens on the table, now that I think about it. Power of others' thoughts. :-)
Old 06-04-2014, 09:34 AM

I have a quilted table cloth on every day with a clear plastic sheet I bought off a roll at Walmart. I like it better than a vinyl table cloth.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 AM

I'm sure it would be lovely for a photo-op but I believe highly impractical.