Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kai scissors, rotary cutters, snips, etc./ compare to Heritage, Gingher? >

Kai scissors, rotary cutters, snips, etc./ compare to Heritage, Gingher?

Kai scissors, rotary cutters, snips, etc./ compare to Heritage, Gingher?

Old 04-21-2011, 02:38 PM

Diane,

The Martinelli cutter has a good ergonomic design, but be very careful with it. Please make sure that blade guard is closed after every cut. I would not recommend that children or a novice use this cutter.

Michael
Old 04-21-2011, 02:48 PM

Diane,

If you think the KAI small scissors are nice. Check out the KAI 7000 Professional Series. They are expensive, but they are the sharpest and most comfortable scissor ever designed. I am confident that you will put your old Ginghers out to pasture.

Michael
Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 AM

Our charity group has a Kai for cutting fabric that has the Fons and Porter logo on it. I always claim it and it is wonderful. We have used it for several years and it is still nice and sharp and requires less hand pressure to cut.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 AM

Hi Sweetana3,

Yes, KAI scissors stay sharp for a very long time. A simple sharpness scissor test is this, and it works with any brand of scissors. Don't hold the fabric that you are cutting. If the fabric starts to move forward while cutting, it's time to sharpen your scissors.

I give a coupon good for one free sharpening with every scissor that I sell in my online store, and sometimes it takes 3 years for my non-manufacturing customers to use it.

Michael
Old 04-23-2011, 04:16 AM

Hi Ramona,

Only shows you how long a well made pair of KAI Scissors lasts.

Michael
Old 04-24-2011, 06:59 PM

kai scissors changed my life!
i used to have ginghers -
Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM

Trigger,

I'm glad that you're enjoying them. I hear that same compliment about KAI Scissors very often. There's a very high-end drapery workroom in Boston. The cutter there thought that he was going to give up his job about ten years ago due to hand pain from cutting drapery fabrics and lining all day long. Someone told him about KAi Scissors, he purchased a pair and his hand pain went away never to return.

Michael
Old 04-25-2011, 01:40 AM

I absolutely love my Kai micro tip scissors and also have a bit larger pair. There is nothing short of cutting long lengths of fabrics that the Kai's that I have won't do. I need to purchase the longer ones one of these days. I have all the Gingers I believe ever made and absolutely love the Kai. I use my micro tip ones for everything small including applique, removing stitches and jump stitches etc. There is nothing near those in my opinion. I have the Ginger applique ones and never use them anymore.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 AM

Hi Quiltmaker,

I'm glad that you're really happy with them. Most people think that it's just another brand of scissors until they actually try them, and then they are amazed how well they actually cut. KAI also has a very popular and expensive line of professional hair dressing shears, and they own and manufacture Shun Knives, probably the best cutlery available, which are sold almost exclusively by William Sonoma. Which model numbers of their scissors do you find most useful?

Michael
Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Hi Olmphoto2,

There are a number of other very competitive sources on the web for Kai scissors besides the one site that you mentioned. There might be one or two offering a quilter's promotion for Kai Scissors.

Michael