Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping the pressure off....upcoming holidays >

Keeping the pressure off....upcoming holidays

Keeping the pressure off....upcoming holidays

Old 11-16-2010, 03:47 AM

Good morning!
So...I made some little drawstring bags out of Halloween fabric for my school kids and filled them with nonedible goodies: pencils, an eraser and a notepad. They were a big hit. Then, it struck me, how will I top that? I was planning on making these felt snowman Christmas ornaments that I put mini candy canes into, in the past.

This weekend, I was in Maine and visited Reny's, a local discount store and found....snowman playing cards. They are so cute and were really reasonable. I gathered as many as I needed plus a few extras because you never know, you can get a new student right before the holidays. I was still planning to make the ornaments but it struck me that time is running out and I'd still like to make some family gifts. I'll put that project to rest for another time.

Now, I'd really like to deplete some flannel by using the 10 minute block technique. I have pleasant visions of sitting in my sewing area, cutting out millions of squares of flannel, lint dancing in the air and collecting in my machine and making a lap quilt for everyone in my family. Wish me luck with that but I am feeling a lot less pressured now that I've decided not to make 20 ornaments. (Maybe just six for the little ones in the family).
Thanks for listening,
lots2do
PS What are your pressure busters for this time of year?
Old 11-16-2010, 03:59 AM

The 10 min block looks so interesting and fun. I am going to make a few once I finish my husband's quilt. can't wait to see what you make...happy quilting...Its off to work I go. Wish I was sewing today instead!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:33 AM

I have a handle on the Cristmas crafts but i still need to complete my baby quilts for the hospital. Although they never pressure me, i want to make sure i make a delivery in the middle of Dec. so there are plenty of quilts to go around. I also made fabric books and little ornaments for the nurses to give out at Christmas. The pressure is on but it's just because i want to surprise them. Gotta love the Holidays!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 05:38 AM

snowman playing cards?? I'm off to my local Reny's to get some stocking stuffers.
Darn, why doesn't that Reny's sell fabric too?!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I'm going to TRY not to get overwhelmed b/c when I do I don't enjoy anything.
Lots of past experience :D
I have projects in the works and in my mind and will do what I can and try not to stress over it. Wish me luck!!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM

Are you allowed to give cards to school kids? Or are these math, etc kind of cards?
I used to play cards with my kids till my 6 year old gifted son kept beating me all the time so now I don't play at all, ever.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM

We are using playing cards to teach math skills. I don't have anyone this year with a religious belief that prohibits them. (I do check for any kind of potential conflict like this).
:)lots2do