Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Keeping thread from coming off spool when it is stored

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    345
    Need a quick fix for keeping thread from coming off spool when it's being stored...not all spools have a slot cut..seems like a small problem; but it's driving me crazy..I can't be the only one with this problem..and I believe some quilter has the answer.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    25
    I buy to tiny pony tail holders (stretchy bands) and put them around the spool. Works great

  3. #3
    Junior Member oldhag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario
    Posts
    236
    I use press n seal on my thread or Hugo's magic tape.

  4. #4
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,110
    once I saw a 'tab like' thing that was put into hole at top of spool - of course I wasn't sewing then so didn't pay attention to details & haven't seen it since. Hope someone has an answer for you because I'm going to use it too!

  5. #5
    Super Member mommamac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coast of Maine
    Posts
    3,110
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    I use press n seal on my thread or Hugo's magic tape.
    good idea! I love that little face on your avatar!

  6. #6
    Power Poster ann clare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Navan. Co. Meath. Ireland
    Posts
    15,105
    I use masking tape

  7. #7
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,734
    They sell tube netting that you cut and put over the spool...try Joann's

  8. #8
    Junior Member oldhag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    I use press n seal on my thread or Hugo's magic tape.
    good idea! I love that little face on your avatar!
    Thanks, That me ... Just a couple of years ago :)

  9. #9
    Junior Member arbed31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    266
    Blog Entries
    2
    I use blue painters tape

  10. #10
    Super Member pab58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    near Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    5,868
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhag
    I use press n seal on my thread or Hugo's magic tape.
    good idea! I love that little face on your avatar!
    Thanks, That me ... Just a couple of years ago :)
    WOW!!! :shock: Do you sell what you're drinking?! :lol: :lol: If you do, I'll take a barrel of it!!!!! :thumbup:

  11. #11
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,476
    Pantyhose! Works great, makes a stretchy little sleeve. I also use this on my embroidery thread in my embroidery machine. One pair of old cheap panty hose makes alot of thread holders.

  12. #12
    Member deanna.r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    65
    I like to use elastics for the spools of thread because I found that tape left a sticky residue, and I hadn't thought of some of the members of this board's resourceful suggestions.
    For bobbins, no matter how well I wound the thread around, my bobbin case always had a mess of threads all over everytime I opened it. I tried the mini pony tail holders, which held the threads tight on the bobbins; however, they obscured the colour of the thread that was on it.
    Then I read a tip that works really well. Go to your local hardware/home supply place/aquarium shop and get some clear tubing. Use a sharpie or a similar pen and make a little mark on the tube that is a bit smaller than the inside width of your bobbin. Then, on the opposite side that you made your marks, cut straight down the clear tube so that it can open up. Once you do that, you can just cut across the tube where the marks are. You end up with a bunch of rings with a slit on one side that you can open up like the letter "C" and slip over your bobbin. Hope that makes sense-- it would be a lot easier if I could just draw a picture. Most of us quilters are pretty visual people!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    345
    Thank you all so much, don't know which I will try, but at least I've got some new ideas.

  14. #14
    Super Member b.zang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    1,975
    Blog Entries
    1
    If my thread spool doesn't have a slot, I make one with something sharp pressed into the side of an end. It's the bobbins that drive me nuts and I love the aquarium tubing fix. I bought a tackle box and keep spool and bobbin together in sections because I was having trouble matching the exact shade of ecru, ivory and white or grey, greyer or greyish threads off the spool with the started bobbins. Now if they're in a little section together, they belong together. I can also change the section sizes and if I have multiple spools the same colour they stay together with a bobbin.

  15. #15
    Senior Member hannajo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    819
    I use scotch tape, especially if I know I won't be using it any time soon.

  16. #16
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    6,873
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphire
    I buy to tiny pony tail holders (stretchy bands) and put them around the spool. Works great
    I had the same idea, but I buy the fuzzy ponytail holders (for children) at the dollar store. They are easier to remove with my fumble fingers. :oops:

  17. #17
    Super Member Airwick156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    3,558
    Blog Entries
    6
    Blue Painters tape works the best and doesnt leave any sticky residue.

  18. #18
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,624
    I just wrap a rubberband around the spool.

  19. #19
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Thanks for the tips everyone! :D

  20. #20
    Super Member M.I.Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Spring, Texas
    Posts
    2,355
    If my spool doesn't have a locking mechanism, I use this medical tape. I cut about 2-3" strips and cut those into even thinner strips (after all - I'm only trying to trap one thread. I'll attach a picture. It works great. It sticks only to itself - not my thread. I use the same technique on the bobbin thread and make it about as thin as I can get it, so I can still see the color on the bobbin.

    I like this stuff so much, I wish they sold it in black so I could harness my extension cords with it. I think I will try it on my toaster oven, crock pot and blender cords while they're stored in the pantry though. Humidifier? Razor charger... Cords Under computer... Hmmm
    Attached Images Attached Images

  21. #21
    Junior Member oldhag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Northwestern Ontario
    Posts
    236
    They make that tape in a whole bunch of colours. I get mine at feed store that sells vet supplies for farmers. I've never thought of using it for thread spools or cords. That's a great idea.

  22. #22
    Super Member bjnicholson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Cleveland OH
    Posts
    3,236
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    once I saw a 'tab like' thing that was put into hole at top of spool - of course I wasn't sewing then so didn't pay attention to details & haven't seen it since. Hope someone has an answer for you because I'm going to use it too!
    Clotildes and Nancy's Notions has them. I bought them and use them all the time. It keeps the bobbins together with the spool of thread. I tuck the threads under the little plastic thingy. (I think that's the 'technical' name for them!)

  23. #23
    Senior Member roguequilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    over here
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    once I saw a 'tab like' thing that was put into hole at top of spool - of course I wasn't sewing then so didn't pay attention to details & haven't seen it since. Hope someone has an answer for you because I'm going to use it too!
    connecting threads has them...clotilde also

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Prosper, Texas
    Posts
    155
    I tried your idea with the tubing yesterday and I love it. No wasted tape, no residue, doesn't cover the color of the thread and very inexpensive. It works great! Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by deanna.r
    I like to use elastics for the spools of thread because I found that tape left a sticky residue, and I hadn't thought of some of the members of this board's resourceful suggestions.
    For bobbins, no matter how well I wound the thread around, my bobbin case always had a mess of threads all over everytime I opened it. I tried the mini pony tail holders, which held the threads tight on the bobbins; however, they obscured the colour of the thread that was on it.
    Then I read a tip that works really well. Go to your local hardware/home supply place/aquarium shop and get some clear tubing. Use a sharpie or a similar pen and make a little mark on the tube that is a bit smaller than the inside width of your bobbin. Then, on the opposite side that you made your marks, cut straight down the clear tube so that it can open up. Once you do that, you can just cut across the tube where the marks are. You end up with a bunch of rings with a slit on one side that you can open up like the letter "C" and slip over your bobbin. Hope that makes sense-- it would be a lot easier if I could just draw a picture. Most of us quilters are pretty visual people!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.