Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Knot or Not to Knot >

To Knot or Not to Knot

To Knot or Not to Knot

Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 AM

LindaR Sometimes I have a hard time getting the needle to go through the thread, but keep trying. Try with a thicker thread, or you might try jiggling the place in the thread that you want the needle to go through with your thumbs and first fingers. That might loosed the twist of the thread a little and allow the needle to go through. Go farther than an inch from the end of the thread so it won't be loose enough to pull out. I just thought of this and will try it myself to see if it works better for me. I hope it works better, because sometimes I really struggle to get the needle in the thread. I hope this helps us both!! :) :)
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
LindaR Sometimes I have a hard time getting the needle to go through the thread, but keep trying. Try with a thicker thread, or you might try jiggling the place in the thread that you want the needle to go through with your thumbs and first fingers. That might loosed the twist of the thread a little and allow the needle to go through. Go farther than an inch from the end of the thread so it won't be loose enough to pull out. I just thought of this and will try it myself to see if it works better for me. I hope it works better, because sometimes I really struggle to get the needle in the thread. I hope this helps us both!! :) :)
will try this, thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
will try this, thanks
I tried jiggling the thread, and it didn't work so well on the thin thread I was using. THEN, I wet the thread where I wanted to go through and jiggled it and it seemed to part some and I was able to go through the thread at that point easier. I was using the reverse of the thought that you don't wet the thread, but the needle when you want to thread a needle. When you wet the thread, it swells, and isn't easy to thread. A wet needle seems to attract the thread and it goes through easier. Hopr this woeks better, LindaR.
Janis
Old 02-20-2010, 06:01 AM

it works, I did wet the thread and did get the needle thru....sure saves on thread. thanks so much, I had never heard this hint before.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 02-20-2010, 07:11 AM

Knot and pull to bury, then I learned a technique from Jean Brown, instead of cutting the tail, you instert the needle close to the tail and just kind of drag it between the layers close to where the tail is and it will bury the tail between the batting and top. It is really hard to explain but it works.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Knot and pull to bury, then I learned a technique from Jean Brown, instead of cutting the tail, you instert the needle close to the tail and just kind of drag it between the layers close to where the tail is and it will bury the tail between the batting and top. It is really hard to explain but it works.
Are you saying that you have the long thread on the needle that you are quilting with, then the knot that you pull through to bury, and then a long enough tail to rethread and pull in to bury?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
it works, I did wet the thread and did get the needle thru....sure saves on thread. thanks so much, I had never heard this hint before.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'm glad that it worked for you. I hate to have to rethread a needle all the time. This also helps me from losing needles.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Janis, No you just insert the needle between the batting and backing and move it around under the tail and it will pull the tail in between the batting and top. It does not have to be threaded, I just use the needle I am quilting with because it is in my hand. You just kind of run the needle under the tail and it just disappears.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Janis, No you just insert the needle between the batting and backing and move it around under the tail and it will pull the tail in between the batting and top. It does not have to be threaded, I just use the needle I am quilting with because it is in my hand. You just kind of run the needle under the tail and it just disappears.
OK, now I see what you mean. After you pop the knot in the quilt, you just bury the knot and tail better, rather than JUST getting the tail under the top and not showing.