Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To knot or not >

To knot or not

To knot or not

Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 AM

When I took my first quilting class, I was taught not to make a knot in the thread. I was never comfortable with that. I was taught it made the fabric too bulky where there was a knot. So, on my first attempt (9 blocks) I didn't knot the thread. I never finished that quilt because I am still uncomfortable with there not being knots in the thread, feeling like the first time it's laundered, the blocks will come apart. These blocks were all hand quilted. My question is, to have peace of mind, should I go back and restitch these blocks on the machine so I'll at least "think" they're more secure? I don't want to finish these into a lap quilt or anything else the way they are. I've stuffed these back for about ten years now and I want to do something with them and get this UFO out of my way. What's your opinion?
Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 AM

I was taught not to knot either. I believe it was because the intersecting sewing prevented untying. So far it hasn't been a problem. Now, if you are talking hand quilting, will look forward to more answers!
Old 09-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Power Poster

Are you talking about piecing or quilting? With piecing (by hand) you should always take a backstitch when starting and this should keep the piece work from falling apart. Many hand piecers also take an occasional backstitch as they progress with the seam. Additionally, most piecework has cross seams which occur when joining the smaller units together into blocks and joining the blocks together to form the quilt. The cross seam also helps to secure your stitches.

With quilting, I always knot my thread and "pop" the knot into the batting.

I don't think you need to worry about your patchwork falling apart. The quilting also helps to reinforce.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:19 AM

These are pieced blocks and I made these so long ago I don't remember if I back-stitched at the beginning of a seam or not, I think I did. They just seem not sturdy enough for me. Remember, it was my first attempt at piecing and the stitches were not the greatest. I cannot do hand piecing now due to arthritis and carpal tunnel, so I'm wondering, if I go back and machine stitch some of these seams, will I be more apt to finish this quilt? It's been a dilemma for too long now and I want to get this finished.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:21 AM

why not? That seems like a reasonable solution.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:24 AM

If you did back stitch, they should be fine. But if you would be happier, by all means, resew them.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:38 AM

I was taught not to know but I do with quilting by hand, I use a fine cotton thread and find it doesn't bulk up at all, in fact doing several stitches on the spot to secure is more bulky. I pull the know through so it doesn't show. You should do what you are comfortable with. As for the blocks you have now, why don't you wash one and see how it goes.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by loopywren
I was taught not to know but I do with quilting by hand, I use a fine cotton thread and find it doesn't bulk up at all, in fact doing several stitches on the spot to secure is more bulky. I pull the know through so it doesn't show. You should do what you are comfortable with. As for the blocks you have now, why don't you wash one and see how it goes.
Good suggestion -- I might try that. If the stitching comes loose, I can always sew it again.