Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Kona cottons vs Moda solids? >

Kona cottons vs Moda solids?

Kona cottons vs Moda solids?

Old 04-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

joanne's tends to have Kona labels on their solids- *like kona means solid* but they are not Kona Solids---they are made in China solid fabrics. if you purchase *real* kona solids they will be substantial- good medium weight, color fast fabrics- kona's are not thin- see through- low quality fabrics. moda also makes some nice solids but I generally choose the Kona's when the color I need is available. even the deepest colors are color fast- blacks/reds do not fade, or bleed seem almost permanent press- I've never had one that was 'wrinkly' . they are my first choice. I do on occasion pick up one of the Moda's ...they are ok too- but around here tend to be quite a bit more expensive.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:12 PM

I don't know what color you plan to purchase, but I have become a fan of Michael Miller solids, especially the jet black. It has a nice hand and doesn't ravel.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:47 PM

I guess I am the "odd man out", but I prefer Moda's Bella solids. To me, they have a much softer and luxurious feel than Kona. I order them from Thousands of Bolts for under $5 per yard all the time.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:04 PM

I think I remember there is a difference in some of the quality of Kona...does anyone know for sure? I like to feel my fabric to be sure.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:06 PM

I love Kona cotton for solids and always bought it from Fabric.com for $5.48/yard and used coupons all the time, but sadly these days (after they have been bought by Amazon) I can't find any coupons.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:10 PM

I like bella solids more than Kona. Also check out connecting threads solids. They are great and cheaper too,
Old 04-13-2014, 10:10 PM

I prefer moda, Kona seems to have raveling issues. Try both and see what you think!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:07 AM

LD,
I wonder if a worker wound a cheaper white on a Kona board by mistake? I love Kona, &, if anything, I find it a bit thick (especially for fine appliqué ). And I have NEVER had any that was see-through!
Good luck! BTW, I've been quilting since 1978!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 AM

If it is true "KONA" it has a Robert Kauffman label on the bolt. Check for a past thread on this with a Kauffman representative commenting. JoAnn's is not true Kona. My preference is for KONA, so many colors.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:31 AM

I prefer Moda Bella solids. I buy mine at Whittles. In the store they are $4.50 a yard. They may be $5.00 online. They are soft and not too thin.