Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
label >

label

label

Old 03-28-2016, 08:38 PM

This would be a good size label to put on before quilting, since it is probably large enough to remain legible even when quilted over. For this one, I agree that it would be a good idea to take some stitches inside the label to keep it anchored.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
It seems rather large to me but mine tend to be on the small side compared to some I've seen.
I put everything on a good piece of muslin, sew a decorative border on it, use an waterproof pen and write down who it is to, my name, address, date and a Bible verse - found a good one - Proverbs 31:22 "She makes coverings for her bed---". Of course, I try to base my whole life on Proverbs 31:10-31 - I have always tried to live my life like the Virtuous Woman. The tag is usually around 4"x4" and then I hand sew it on to the finished quilt on the back lower right side. Edie
Old 03-29-2016, 09:40 AM

Bonnie Hunter makes triangle labels too. I would definitely blind stitch the diagonal side being careful to catch just the lining.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:35 AM

I was originally thinking it would be good to stitch through the middle of the tag, but then realized that if you went all the way through, you would have a random diagonal line on the front of your quilt. If you can manage to do a running stitch just into the batting below Scarlett's name, that would be ideal. Otherwise, my opinion is that it's just a label -- if someday it starts to get baggy, then you can always unsew & replace it.

Another option to consider is using a small amount of fusible web or Fabric Fusion (permanent glue) to fuse the fabric in a few places to the backing. If you do that, I'd make sure to run it in a very straight line -- or apply all over -- because otherwise you'll end up with pulls and puckers.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:27 AM

Well, I decided to make another label, although I still like the other one, but felt it might be a little big. So here is the finished product ready to be gifted. Making burp cloths now. Oh, forgot to say I did use monof. thread in bobbin and locked a few threads throughout label to hold it down. Can't really tell unless you actually hold it close and look for it. I do hate sewing with that thread though, but did come in handy this time.
Attached Thumbnails scarletts-backing-label.jpg   scarletts-quilt.jpg  

Last edited by sash; 03-30-2016 at 07:30 AM.