Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Landscape quilts with people in them (any pointers?)

  1. #1
    Super Member #1piecemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ashdown, AR
    Posts
    8,242
    Blog Entries
    1
    I have a landscape quilt in my head that I want out of there. Does anybody on the board do these things that wouldn't mind to give a little advice and a few pointers on how this is done. I have a book and have gotten a lot of info from it. But, I'd like to hear from someonelse who has been there and done this.

  2. #2
    Super Member scowlkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,533
    Blog Entries
    11
    I guess it depends on the content and detail you are wanting. I recently did a quilt with a girl in it and couldn't have managed without Bonnie McCaffrey's book on portraits. As to the landscape part, I researched many methods by various quilters including Nancy Zeiman. I would say to try to sketch out your idea as a starting point and go from there.

  3. #3
    Super Member #1piecemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ashdown, AR
    Posts
    8,242
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by scowlkat
    I guess it depends on the content and detail you are wanting. I recently did a quilt with a girl in it and couldn't have managed without Bonnie McCaffrey's book on portraits. As to the landscape part, I researched many methods by various quilters including Nancy Zeiman. I would say to try to sketch out your idea as a starting point and go from there.
    I have a picture to go by. But, I always change everything I do up a bit for my own twist on things. I'll see if I can find McCafferey's book. thanks

  4. #4
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,318
    there are lots of different landscape quilting techniques--visit "sewing with Nancy" 's web site- she does alot of landscape quilting- has books out, but also has lots of videos and free stuff available.
    you have to get your (picture) out of your head and onto paper before anything else- either using pictures or drawing/sketching. use graph paper to get everything to scale so you make the size quilt you want.
    decide if you are doing fusable applique or what techniques you are going to use...when you have specific questions we can help.

  5. #5
    Super Member #1piecemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ashdown, AR
    Posts
    8,242
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    I have a landscape quilt in my head that I want out of there. Does anybody on the board do these things that wouldn't mind to give a little advice and a few pointers on how this is done. I have a book and have gotten a lot of info from it. But, I'd like to hear from someonelse who has been there and done this.
    I'm attaching the picture of the one I want to do. I have a lot of the leaves cut out for the tree and the flowers and I have the casket made with the flag draped over it. What I'm having trouble deciding about is this. I have fabric that looks like green grass. I have enough of it for the whole quilt. But, do I need some sky? And at what point do I start the sky? And doyou use glue or what to hold everything in place until quilting?

    The picture
    Name:  Attachment-197487.bmp
Views: 180
Size:  522.4 KB

  6. #6
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,111
    Blog Entries
    1
    Nancy uses glue sticks to temporarily hold the fabric in place. Washable school glue sticks, just dab, don't rub :wink:
    As to the sky, it isn't necessary to add it, but if you want one, audition the size once you get the foreground in place. In this picture? Personally I would leave it out... and leave the focus on the details of the cemetary.

  7. #7
    Super Member #1piecemaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Ashdown, AR
    Posts
    8,242
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Nancy uses glue sticks to temporarily hold the fabric in place. Washable school glue sticks, just dab, don't rub :wink:
    As to the sky, it isn't necessary to add it, but if you want one, audition the size once you get the foreground in place. In this picture? Personally I would leave it out... and leave the focus on the details of the cemetary.
    After I looked at it again. I realized there is no sky. that is taken up by the leaves on the trees. So, that probalem is solved. I've just got to deal with the faces now. That 's the main problem.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6
    If you can enlarge the photo to the same size as the quilt you're making, you could print the faces onto printable fabric (available at JoAnn's and most quilt shops), cut the faces out and fuse them to the quilt with fusible web. You could also just find flesh-colored fabric and work the details in with fabric pens.

  9. #9
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Posts
    9,062
    I'm sure how to do a landscape quilt; but wanted to that will a beauty. Would love to see pictures of the finish project.

  10. #10
    Super Member labtechkty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,011
    Have never tried this type of quilt but I am in awe of people who do them...please keep us up to date with your progress....
    Kitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.