Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Lap Quilting ????????

  1. #11
    Becky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    250
    I do hand quilting in the evening - no frame, no thimble. Easy

  2. #12
    Senior Member teddysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Stanley NC
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by Becky13
    I do hand quilting in the evening - no frame, no thimble. Easy
    You sound like my kind of quilter!

  3. #13
    Senior Member teddysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Stanley NC
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim
    I also lap quilt without a hoop...just have never been able to get the right tension using a hoop so go without...as long as you baste really well, it works. I even had an expert quilter once comment on how flat my quilt was...and she was surprized when I told her I didn't use a frame or hoop.
    Thanks! It sounds like lap quilting is the way to go for me, too. I'll remember to BASTE really well and keep everything flat. Now, I'm really looking forward to starting my next quilt!

  4. #14
    Power Poster blueangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    20,490
    I have done lap quilting on mostly small projects.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Valley Grove, WV
    Posts
    736
    I did not have to baste the twin size that I am working on now. I purchased June Taylor Quilt Basing Spray from Michael's. I put an old queen size flat sheet on my spare bed. Layered the backing then the batting. Carefully pulled back 1/2 of the batting, sprayed and replaced the batting, carefully smoothing it out. Same procedure for the rest of the batting. Repeated the same process with the top. I have had absolutely had no problem with it slipping. No basting pins or sewing basing lines. Quick and effective.

  6. #16
    Senior Member grannyQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SE Iowa
    Posts
    550
    Blog Entries
    31
    I made a grandmother's fan quilt. I made each block and just quilted that block until I had all the blocks made then attached them all together. I did find out though that you do not want to quilt all the way to 1/4 inch from the edge, it made it very difficult to add the blocks together, so leave at least 1 inch, and after putting them together go back and finished quilting the edges. You really need to baste the blocks down the middle both ways, and diagonally both ways and also some in between depending on the size of each block. I did use Georgia Bonesteele's method. If you want I can post a picture of my quilt.

  7. #17
    Senior Member donac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    316
    I quilt with a 14 in hoop. I am workingon a king size right now. I do like to quilt on a recliner so that my feet and knees are up. I find it easier to quilt that way. A foot stool will also work.

    I envy those people who don't use a frame. I may have to try it on a piece this summer.

  8. #18
    Senior Member teddysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Stanley NC
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally Posted by grannyQ
    I made a grandmother's fan quilt. I made each block and just quilted that block until I had all the blocks made then attached them all together. I did find out though that you do not want to quilt all the way to 1/4 inch from the edge, it made it very difficult to add the blocks together, so leave at least 1 inch, and after putting them together go back and finished quilting the edges. You really need to baste the blocks down the middle both ways, and diagonally both ways and also some in between depending on the size of each block. I did use Georgia Bonesteele's method. If you want I can post a picture of my quilt.
    I'd love to see a picture of the quilt. Thanks for the advice about basting "in all directions". I'm going to practice on some scrap pieces before I start a real quilt. Do you tape the block down, pin the pieces in place and then baste?

  9. #19
    Becky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by MimiLinda
    I did not have to baste the twin size that I am working on now. I purchased June Taylor Quilt Basing Spray from Michael's. I put an old queen size flat sheet on my spare bed. Layered the backing then the batting. Carefully pulled back 1/2 of the batting, sprayed and replaced the batting, carefully smoothing it out. Same procedure for the rest of the batting. Repeated the same process with the top. I have had absolutely had no problem with it slipping. No basting pins or sewing basing lines. Quick and effective.
    COOL! I will try that as of course like any quilting, I hate to spend time basting. :)

  10. #20
    Senior Member Happy Treadler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
    I don't use hoops although I do own Georgina's books which I find so complicated, I prefer the newer method name "Quilt as you go" and have done a number of quilts using this method http://www.quilterscache.com/H/howtoquiltoneatatime.html My largest project was this one which I was quite pleased with.



    What is nice that you can get 2 quilts in one as QAYG are reversible!

    If you google Quilt as you go you will get loads of links and info.
    QuiltingaddicUK - Thanks for the pics. What a wonderful idea!!!

    I use Harry's laptop hoops on my lap when quilting, and I love it since I am able to sit with the family while they watch TV. Even take smaller quilts to baseball games. The hoop sits on your lap so both hands are free and you don't need to brace it on the arm of the chair you're sitting on. Previously I used a floor frame, but didn't like the feeling of isolation having to be in the other room.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.