Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Hand quilting lap hoop

HMK
    Recently, I purchased the 14" lap hoop from Keepsake Quilting and find that the hoop attaches to the base by a wood ball & socket. When trying to move the hoop in different directions for hand quilting, it makes a loud, annoying squeaking sound. Even when I try & buffer it with felt or fabric the sound still resonates down the spindle to the base. I've been in contact with Keepsake and they can't suggest a solution and was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience & if so, how you resolved it.

I'd try putting a bit of bar soap on it, first on the ball, then on the socket. Any other lubrication could damage your fabric.

other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia
    Blog Entries
    it sounds like it is too tight a fit...a couple of ideas to try firstly sprinkle talcum powder between the ball and socket as that is what is recommended for squeaky wooden floor boards.
    As a last resort after trying everything else suggested by the wonderful people on this board try lightly sanding the ball[b][u] with very fine sandpaper and i mean lightly and keep testing until the squeak is no more..hope you find the solution..

HMK
    Thanks for the ideas but we've already tried all those. We first tried to buffer it with felt, then sanded, then the powder & then the soap. It's obviously a design flaw but no one can tell me who the manufacturer is but there's got to be a solution somehow. Will keep searching.

My husband says you might try wax, because it wont leave a residue and any little bit that gets on the quilt will wash out. He say's you can use CLEAR natural candle wax, or you can get a thing of dental wax, and use that.

HMK
    We have some beeswax from when we had hives - the honey was awesome and the wax is soft. Would this damage any fabric that might touch the wood?

I have used silicone spray in cans...I think it is pretty safe unless you eat it...I have used it on windows, skateboards, all the stuff that couldn't have grease :D

Blog Entries
    I don't know if a very lightspray of WD-40 would help or not.. Don