Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LAQ question >

LAQ question

LAQ question

Old 02-27-2011, 06:27 PM

Ok.. I am getting close to the time I have to start thinking about how I am going to finish off the Chevy Quilt. I will post pics later but I am wondering.. Can you choose the design? I want to bind teh top and bottom with the chevy logo in a silver thread. Can a LA be programed to do that or do I have to do that by hand?

Just to get an idea 1/2 the square is grey, white, red and white/silver glitter stripes, the other 1/2 the square is black. All the prints are just a plain marble. (i wish I could post pics). In the middle of the quilt will be a big chevy logo out of grey/silver. I am taking it to an embroider to get the word "chevy' embroidered in the middle of the logo. The border will be a checkered print. (all fabrics picked out my DH since it will be his quilt)

I wrote a letter to Chevrolet corp headquarters asking to use their logo in a quilt and the only response I got was to send them a pic!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:08 PM

Long Arm quilters do not normally do the binding on a quilt. If they do, they charge extra. Some will run it down the front side for you but that seems to be rare.

I'm not sure what you mean by binding with the Chevy Logo. Do you have fabric with the logo on it are do you plan on stitching it down by machine on the front?

If you mean the border, yes, LAQ's can by free hand, computerized or stencil, quilt the Chevy bowtie design.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Nope.. I want to bind the top and the bottom with the chevy bowtie in silver thread. It looks like I am going to be doing it by hand!

this pic is the general idea. except the colors are different and my squares are smaller.. About 4 in. In the middle of each 4 square I want the chevy bowtie in silver to work as the binding. I was hoping a long arm would save my fingers the trouble of doing it by hand!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-123963.jpe  
Old 02-27-2011, 08:52 PM

How wide is the binding? It can probably be done but it's not going to be cheap. I know my machine would not like quilting through all the quilt layers plus the binding. My sewing machine could do it if I had a bowtie emblem on it. It does have rabbits, dogs, flowers and other things which I have used to do a decorative stitch on the front of the binding so I'm thinking an embroidery machine could probably do what you're wanting.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 PM

ugh.. I hate being a newb... I am not sure what your asking by "how wide is the binding?"
Old 02-27-2011, 09:04 PM

The binding is the very outer edge that is applied to finish off a quilt. Stitching through the top layer through the batting to the backing to "tie" all three layers together is the quilting.

So do you mean that you want to quilt each square with the Chevy logo?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:17 PM

YES! LOL.. Not every square maybe every 2 or 3.. but yes.. I was just wondering of a long arm can be customized to quilt the chevy bowtie..
Old 02-27-2011, 09:32 PM

I believe they can. Now that we have the terminology right it will be easier for someone with a computerized longarm to answer you for sure. :)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Banned

the design will have to be digitized first so you will need to find someone to prepare the disk or however it is put into the machine. How about embroidering the design onto the block then quilt it rather than try and embroidery/quilt at the same time. If I understand your description.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:28 AM

Holice is correct, the pattern would have to be digitized, and there are so many designers out there that do that.

With the Statler I put the pattern in the PC and it comes up and I just put it where I need it to be. Sizing to the block.

Enjoy the process!