Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Large bed spread under smaller quilts?? >

Large bed spread under smaller quilts??

Large bed spread under smaller quilts??

Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I am not even sure I am asking this correctly, but I read somewhere, probably here, that if a quilt is smaller than desired for a bed, using a larger bedspread under it can make it look like it belongs. It would probably be a white bedspread, I think?

I was wanting to experiment with this idea, as I have several quilts that aren't quite large enough for a bed. But I was looking for pictures first, to see if this is an idea I wanted to pursue. I can't seem to word it correctly to google the idea successfully.

Has anyone done this, and are you happy with the results? Thanks for any info.

Dina
I just recently googled quilts displayed on beds because I always seem them just laid out on the floor or hung up/held up to show forum members. I did see several that were displayed the way you are describing, with a larger bed covering underneath the smaller quilt. Looks ok for display, but I try to make my quilts large enough to use without an undercovering.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
I have used a white matelasse bedspread for years. I put a colorful quilt or comforter across the foot of the bed and use matching pillowcases. My dust ruffle is a neutral color.
I love matelassé. I have had the same white one for tons of years and it is still pretty.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:52 PM

I also have a matelasse and I put smaller quilts on top of it for different seasons and holidays. I take the decorative one off at night and put a plain one on top for the cat who sneaks up and sleeps with us at night.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I purchased an all over machine quilted solid color quilt , at Marshalls for about $40.00. I bought the next size up than my actual mattress in a ivory color. It spans almost to the floor ( no need for a dust ruffle/bed skirt) and change my quilts of various sizes when ever I get in the mood. Most of the major retailers sell these such as Kohls, Overstock.com, etc.
You can also have your quilter to quilt a whole cloth quilt for you. I did that to use under my yo-yo quilt.