Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Large lap sized quilt ideas for 5 year old girl >

Large lap sized quilt ideas for 5 year old girl

Large lap sized quilt ideas for 5 year old girl

Old 01-16-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
Have you seen the pattern Fancy Forest? It would be darling for an animal lover. I want to make one.

http://ohfransson.bigcartel.com/prod...-quilt-pattern
This pattern is $22, is that common? It seems like a lot of money to me! Just for a pattern
Old 01-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Power Poster

I think it was www.fonsandporter.com magazine that had a couple of cute patterns about 3 years ago. The names were Dog Daze and Feline Frenzy. They were pieced patterns if that is something you would like.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:33 AM

You could use your stash and do bright coloured stars on a white background. Simple and I'm sure she would love the stars. The stars could be made with half square triangles two together in same colour to make a diamond.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to say it must be a simple design as I am a beginner. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Thanks for the ideas. I forgot to say it must be a simple design as I am a beginner. Thanks again!
If you want simple and a great looking quilt, you can't go wrong with a focus fabric and the Warm Wishes pattern....which is a free pattern online.

I have made a few Warm Wishes. Let me attach a two pictures, in case they help you decide. The first picture is the one I am working on now. It is ready to be sandwiched. The focus fabric is a galaxy print. The second is a charity quilt I made earlier this year. This pattern goes together quickly.

Just food for thought... Warm Wishes might be what you are looking for. Just google Warm Wishes quilt pattern and you should find it easily.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002756.jpg   s8002509.jpg  
Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 AM

Disappearing 9-Patch is my go to for having theme fabrics in a quilt. Many different layouts
Old 01-17-2016, 12:37 PM

I make quilts with "seek and find" on one half and "matching" on the other. On one half of the quilt i use as many different novelty fabrics that I need for the size of the quilt I want to make. I cut two squares of the exactly same object as in the first cut. One half of them go on the "seek and find" side of the quilt. On the other half of the quilt, I mix the other half of fabrics all up. That way, if the quilt is folded in half, it is just a seek and find. If the quilt is opened up, it becomes a matching game where they find the matching half on the other part of the quilt. Usually, the quilts go on the floor so they can crawl around on it to look for the matches.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:23 PM

I say find two or three fabrics that you love and go find a pattern from there. I usually find a couple that i know my kids will love and then find a lovely pattern. I have actually had my kids pick out the fabric which usually garenties that they will like the quilt regardless of the pattern.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fieryphoenix View Post
This pattern is $22, is that common? It seems like a lot of money to me! Just for a pattern
For one that detailed, yes it is.

I was so impressed that Elise1 found a pieced pattern that has all those animals. I applique & would have suggested some applique quilts, except I was assuming that Jcarpentier wasn't looking for applique designs as it would be quite simple to gather some public domain designs of the little girl's favorite critters & turn them into applique. J, if you are indeed asking for cutesy applique designs with dinosaurs & dragons & such (perhaps a princess, too!), let us know & I'd be happy to post some links.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fieryphoenix View Post
The more intricate the pattern, usually the higher price. It appears to have many pieces. I have only paid that much once but it was fabulous and very easy to follow.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]540495[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ava-front.jpg