Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is This Queen Sized Quilt Large Enough? >

Is This Queen Sized Quilt Large Enough?

Is This Queen Sized Quilt Large Enough?

Old 11-17-2019, 09:16 AM

Default Is This Queen Sized Quilt Large Enough?

I'm working on a pair of quilts for my brother & SIL's granddaughters for their Christmas presents. One GD is 13 and the other 15. My SIL asked that they be queen sized quilts since the girls will eventually be in queen sized beds (are currently in double beds).

The quilt for the 13 yo is finished and ended up a good sized queen at 85.5" wide by 103" long.

With the second quilt I made some changes to my original plan, and the quilt top is just 80" wide by 100" long. That will only allow for a 10" drop once it is on a queen bed. I plan to bind it with a flanged binding with the multi colour cat fabric as the flange and black as the binding.

I've attached a picture of the finished top (hanging sideways from my rail). I ended with a piano key border and all the pictures I've looked at, they don't seem to put another border after the piano key. I don't want to do anything that detracts from the look of the quilt, but I also don't want to send a quilt that ends up being skimpy at some time. Or should I not worry about the future? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails img_20191116_124355-1.jpg  
Old 11-17-2019, 09:26 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

While the size as is seems fine to me, you could give some thought to a narrow black border (2” or so), then the flanged binding. It would separate the binding flange from the multicolored piano key border, so it would “pop”.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
While the size as is seems fine to me, you could give some thought to a narrow black border (2” or so), then the flanged binding. It would separate the binding flange from the multicolored piano key border, so it would “pop”.
I agree, but would make the last border purple
Old 11-17-2019, 09:40 AM

Cute!

Did you pre-shink the fabrics? I have recently realized there really is something for pre-washing fabrics. A friend had a queen size quilt that doesn't fit anymore after washing.

Just something to consider.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:50 AM

That’s a gorgeous quilt!! All my favorite colors together! Do you have a queen bed you can put it on to see what you think? I think it’s an aesthetic call. 10” is okay, but 15” might “drape” better. Try it on a bed if uou possibly can , before going further.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:55 AM
mkc

Do you know how thick their mattress is? While a queen mattress is 60 x 80, many are close to 12 or 15 inches thick, and if you want the quilt to completely cover the mattress (like a coverlet), you'll want it to be wider.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:12 AM

I tried the purple border and really like the look of that. I like the way it makes it look like the piano key is floating in the purple. I'll go back to my original idea of a binding out of the multi coloured cat fabric because black doesn't do anything against the purple.

Zozee & MKC - I do have a queen bed to drape it on, and my preference would be bigger, but I'm happy if I can get the quilts to approximately a 12" drape. I don't know when the girls will get queen beds. It could be quite a few years down the road because apparently their bedrooms aren't very large (so when they leave home maybe?) It was my SIL that asked if they could be queen sized because she's hoping the girls will always love their quilts from their Amma.

Rhonda K - I didn't pre-wash the fabrics and I won't pre-wash the quilts before I send them. I realize there is a bit of a risk in that, but such is life I guess.

Edited to add: Thanks everyone for the replies! I really appreciate it. I was so eager to post a new picture I missed this in my response..
Attached Thumbnails img_20191117_105613-1.jpg  
Old 11-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

A quilt does not have to be comforter size. They can put a plain bedspread on and then accent it with the quilt. Personally, I make my big quilts 104x104.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:10 AM

I personally usually make a queen size quilt 100 square, I just recently made a quilt for my friend who has a queen size bed and she said it was perfect size. I go by what I like. Also you may be surprised as to when they get that queen size bed. My goddaughters grand daughter is 8 and already has one which shocked me when I made her a large twin size. Needless to say have to start again. ��
Old 11-17-2019, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I just finished a quilt with a piano key border and put a border on it. I just wanted to make it wider so I just put it on the sides. It is for a 31 Year old Grandson and he won't care, he just loves Gramma's quilts.