Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Larger Ironing Board >

Larger Ironing Board

Larger Ironing Board

Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Here are some pictures, it makes a 24 X 52 inch ironing surface. Now why wouldn't it allow me to add these pictures to my original post?? Oh well. here you go. I like this set up because if I need to iron clothing, the top comes off and tou have a regular ironing board.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]481638[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]481639[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   003.jpg  

Last edited by AZ Jane; 07-05-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:30 AM

I used scrapbooking storage cubes from Michaels and a piece of plywood on top. I LOVE it. Here's a pic:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]481644[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ironingcenternew.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 09:32 AM

here's a better one but it was before I swapped out one of the bottom cubes (I wanted to store all books down there). I have also replaced the power strip with a smaller white one and used some heavy duty double sided tape to attach it near the top.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]481645[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails ironingcenter2.jpg  
Old 07-05-2014, 11:55 AM

I used an old baby changing station. Put covered plywood on top and voila! I love my ironing surface now
Old 07-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought a sheet of plywood and told the man the size I needed out of it and he cut it to the right size for free. I took all the plywood home with me. I bought a long dresser at a second hand store and decided to put the plywood on top of it. I covered the top of the plywood with batting and then a piece of fabric and stapled it on the underside. I put it on my dresser and it stays put when I iron. I didn't have to add any wood to keep it from moving around because it doesn't at all.

I love using the dresser because I filled all the drawers with fabric and other quilting items I use. I still have my ironing board in my garage in case I need to iron sleeves or something like that. But I did it all myself. The staples were a life saver to me.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 AM

Someone on this Board in another thread discussion made the suggestion of using a heavy canvas drop cloth (like you use for painting) for a cover for an ironing surface. That works great and very inexpensive.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by hybearn8er View Post
Heres a tutorial you can check out to see if you can follow it.
https://mulberrypatchquilts.wordpres...ard-extension/
I had to laugh at their use of the word "plank". To me a plank is a very large, very thick board. I have one in my old garage. It is 10 inches wide, almost 3 inches thick and about 20 feet long.
What they are using for this ironing board are strips of wood. Strips of sturdy wood. LOL
Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 AM

The tutorial mentioned here is the way my daughter and I made mine-except I wanted the corners rounded and my daughter cut them for me after we drew the corner using a plate for the rounding. Tried to put it on an ironing board I had purchased and it was too heavy and the whole thing started to go sideways. At the Senior center we found an older, heavy duty ironing board for $1.50 and it stands strong. I can take it apart easily and stand it up to store. Love, love,love my big ironing board. The board I used was in the garage so my expenses were mainly the canvas and batting.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:52 AM

DH cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to fit the top of my cutting table. I covered it with batting and cotton canvas. I put my cutting mat on top of it and still use it as my cutting table. About half of it remains uncovered by the mat so I still have the ironing surface. When I need to iron yardage or a quilt I remove the cutting mat to use the entire surface to iron. I wish i had made the cover so I could remove it to wash it. It is stapled on, but it wouldn't be hard to unstaple, wash and then make it so it is easier to remove.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:25 AM

I have an old wool blanket that I just toss across one of my utility tables in the sewing room when I need a larger surface.