Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Latest fidget quilt and advice pls >

Latest fidget quilt and advice pls

Latest fidget quilt and advice pls

Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka View Post
A real door has hinges. Give your cloth door some hinges, using a heavy material, even corduroy or sailcloth, or a polyester shiny fabric. Imagine an old wrought iron Celtic door, with bars that stretch across the width of the door. Fear not, you can do something sturdy and creative.
I like the idea of decorative hinges as well. One more element to both secure the door or window, but also another texture for the folks to feel. These would also be great for the autism community.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:31 PM

Your fidget mat is very nice. I like the door idea. I make them also for our county home and they are very well received. Never thought about autism mats. Have to look around my area for places that can use them. Thank you for making the mats. I'm sure they are appreciated.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:17 PM

I made some Quiet Books with doors, I ironed on an interfacing to the fabric for the both sides of the door, allowed 1" for the seam allowance where is attached to the page and sewed it down with the triple stitch. They have so far survived a lot of kid type abuse.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 AM

I love all of the creative ideas you gals have and KenmoreGal ... what a thoughtful donation of your time and talent for your local assisted living facility.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

Great ideas. Yours looks so good. I am about to make one for my mother in law. She likes beads. I found some beads with clasps on each end. I'm going to sew rings on the fidget quilt and hook these on. They will be removed for washing. And if her caregivers decide they aren't working they can come off. But I think that's what she will like the best. I like the idea of the shutters.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Can you post a list of activities found in and on your fidget quilt?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
I made some Quiet Books with doors, I ironed on an interfacing to the fabric for the both sides of the door, allowed 1" for the seam allowance where is attached to the page and sewed it down with the triple stitch. They have so far survived a lot of kid type abuse.
Thanks for the specific details! I'll use your ideas.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Can you post a list of activities found in and on your fidget quilt?
Sure! I started to include this in my original post but it got too wordy so I deleted it. Starting from the top left corner and proceeding clockwise.
1. Door lifts up and there is a picture of a hobby hourse.
2. Wide piece of lace is only sewn on the left side. (triple stitched) Resident can run their fingers underneath the lace and feel the textures. Can also have fingers under and on top of lace at the same time.
3. 2 narrower pieces of lace are securely hemmed at the ends and strips are triple stitched at the seam. The can be manipulated in many ways as they are only attached at the ends.
4. Cord goes in pocket. Has a knot at the end which someone may like to fidget with. I used a knot and not a bead or something because a knot can't fall off and be eaten.
5. Black cord on bottom has a plastic curtain ring on it which can be twirled and moved side to side. (My first one had a plastic thread spool but it broke in my washer on a test run.)
6. White trim piece is only attached at the ends - triple stitched. It has a good texture and since it's not attached in the middle, it can be played with.

I don't use batting so they are cool in summer. I put something heavy on the back, in this case a piece of velour. (I suppose that's also something that can be stroked....) Then I zig zag all the seams, attaching the front to the back. I zig zag the places where the embellishments attach to secure them even more. I know these places can be harsh with their laundry techniques and I want my stuff to stay secure.

This is the 4th one I've given them. It's been a few months since I made the last one and I was rusty. I try to make each one a little better than the last so the next one will have velcro and some corduroy for texture.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:14 AM

My mom is in assisted living with the beginnings of dementia. I am planning on making a prototype when I go see her in April to show to the facility director. She isn't in need of one yet but others may enjoy. Bless you for thinking of them. What about something like this: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t268171.html
About the third or fourth picture down is a picture of the flaps I used. It is a pattern but basically you sew prairie points to each side of the square. I stitched down the middle to stabilize during washing. Residents can play with the flaps and see the picture inside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]542295[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf4631.jpg  

Last edited by EmiliasNana; 02-09-2016 at 06:15 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 02-09-2016, 06:22 AM

Wow, that's beautiful!!! I am a new quilter, I haven't even tried to make a triangle yet! Not to mention one as wonderful as yours. Some day....

As I make these quilts, it occurs to me that they are very much like the activity blankets that young children love. It's sad how we regress.

Edited to add that I've heard from the assisted living facility and they would prefer no velcro. They say it's too scratchy. Each facility has it's own desires and criteria so it's good that you will show them a prototype before making too many.

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 02-09-2016 at 06:24 AM.