View Single Post
Old 02-09-2016, 05:17 AM
KenmoreGal2

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Can you post a list of activities found in and on your fidget quilt?
Sure! I started to include this in my original post but it got too wordy so I deleted it. Starting from the top left corner and proceeding clockwise.
1. Door lifts up and there is a picture of a hobby hourse.
2. Wide piece of lace is only sewn on the left side. (triple stitched) Resident can run their fingers underneath the lace and feel the textures. Can also have fingers under and on top of lace at the same time.
3. 2 narrower pieces of lace are securely hemmed at the ends and strips are triple stitched at the seam. The can be manipulated in many ways as they are only attached at the ends.
4. Cord goes in pocket. Has a knot at the end which someone may like to fidget with. I used a knot and not a bead or something because a knot can't fall off and be eaten.
5. Black cord on bottom has a plastic curtain ring on it which can be twirled and moved side to side. (My first one had a plastic thread spool but it broke in my washer on a test run.)
6. White trim piece is only attached at the ends - triple stitched. It has a good texture and since it's not attached in the middle, it can be played with.

I don't use batting so they are cool in summer. I put something heavy on the back, in this case a piece of velour. (I suppose that's also something that can be stroked....) Then I zig zag all the seams, attaching the front to the back. I zig zag the places where the embellishments attach to secure them even more. I know these places can be harsh with their laundry techniques and I want my stuff to stay secure.

This is the 4th one I've given them. It's been a few months since I made the last one and I was rusty. I try to make each one a little better than the last so the next one will have velcro and some corduroy for texture.