Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Latest fidget quilt and advice pls >

Latest fidget quilt and advice pls

Latest fidget quilt and advice pls

Old 02-09-2016, 07:08 AM

Anything people can fidget with usually helps them calm down. In the classroom I used fidget "toys" for kids to keep their hands busy. When teaching adults, fidget toys on the tables helped some people listen more. Teachers also use vests that have small weights in them to remind children to not move. I love the mats for dementia patients.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:18 AM

Many dementia patients enjoy holding and loving on dolls. They do not have to be life size because of weight, but close to life size and they really love them.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

What a wonderful idea. Great job. I think the door is great.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Sure! I started to include this in my original post but it got too wordy so I deleted it. Starting from the top left corner and proceeding clockwise.
1. Door lifts up and there is a picture of a hobby hourse.
2. Wide piece of lace is only sewn on the left side. (triple stitched) Resident can run their fingers underneath the lace and feel the textures. Can also have fingers under and on top of lace at the same time.
3. 2 narrower pieces of lace are securely hemmed at the ends and strips are triple stitched at the seam. The can be manipulated in many ways as they are only attached at the ends.
4. Cord goes in pocket. Has a knot at the end which someone may like to fidget with. I used a knot and not a bead or something because a knot can't fall off and be eaten.
5. Black cord on bottom has a plastic curtain ring on it which can be twirled and moved side to side. (My first one had a plastic thread spool but it broke in my washer on a test run.)
6. White trim piece is only attached at the ends - triple stitched. It has a good texture and since it's not attached in the middle, it can be played with.

I don't use batting so they are cool in summer. I put something heavy on the back, in this case a piece of velour. (I suppose that's also something that can be stroked....) Then I zig zag all the seams, attaching the front to the back. I zig zag the places where the embellishments attach to secure them even more. I know these places can be harsh with their laundry techniques and I want my stuff to stay secure.

This is the 4th one I've given them. It's been a few months since I made the last one and I was rusty. I try to make each one a little better than the last so the next one will have velcro and some corduroy for texture.
Thank you.

If you want to make a door to stay on nice, look at how tent doors are attached. Those are made to take far more abuse from weather and humans than that little door. It is possible to put so many stitches in something that all you do is weaken the fabric.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:25 AM

On the last tent I stayed in, the door zipped. That can't be what you mean.

I do understand too many stitches weakening the fabric and honestly I'm concerned about that.

I'm planning the next one. I will use the 2 doors and a "hinge" of sorts with a few lines of stitching next to each other for strength. Also going make the whole door area out of heavier cloth, maybe denim. Also the "hinges" I think. I'm still planning it in my head.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

Tent doors have a boxed X sewn on the ends and just a couple rows of stitching. Heavy fabric or nylon would be a good idea. I guess you could sew a tent with a door flap on a figet quilt. How about silk? Probably not a good tent door or figet door... Think about a parachute? I would love to look at an old silk parachute to see how it is sewn. Extra layers of material can help make something sturdy. Hinges are a great idea.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Wow, that's beautiful!!! I am a new quilter, I haven't even tried to make a triangle yet! Not to mention one as wonderful as yours. Some day....

As I make these quilts, it occurs to me that they are very much like the activity blankets that young children love. It's sad how we regress.

Edited to add that I've heard from the assisted living facility and they would prefer no velcro. They say it's too scratchy. Each facility has it's own desires and criteria so it's good that you will show them a prototype before making too many.
Actually the triangles pictured can be made by folding a square the same size as the novelty square (in this case, 5") in half, then folding each side down and to the seam allowance, like a pointed hat. I stitched down the edge of each to hold the fold in the middle, pinned four to the top of the novelty square and sewed all the seams into the seam allowance when I pieced the square. I did the same thing only instead of a square for the triangles, I used two different colored rectangles, offsetting the fold when I pressed them in half. That way when I folded it into a hat, I got a stripe down the middle.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:22 AM

These are great. Like your variety of ideas. Have these on my "sometime" list.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:26 AM

I've made dozens of fidget mats and have standing request for more. Mine are the size of a large place mat, more or less. I large meander quilt the batting to the top piece, sew the back to it right sides together, leaving approx 4 inches for turning. Once turned I stitch a 1/4 around the edges. This I call my blank. I put the same activities on each one but different. Zippers with ribbon pulls. Velour, toweling, minky, fleece, silky fabrics(usually doubled). These are cut 4 or 5 inches square, zigzaged to the blank, some with a bit of stuffing, a lot with doubled ribbons sewn on the edge, and some with a squeaker inside. I bought the squeakers online from a pet supply place. I found 6 inch rolls of white organza, turn under the edges and zigzag around, put some sequins in before finishing the stitching. They all seem to like that. A rectangle large enough to put their hand in, maybe a small piece of lace or fleece inside. I don't know how to post pics, which would be better than a book. You are only limited by your imagination. Please remember beads or things that can be torn off can be swallowed and all of these mats are subjected to heavy duty laundry machines.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:44 AM

I'm so inspired by your fidget mat (and the others mentioned here). What a compassionate, imaginative bunch if folks here . No wonder I enjoy this place so much.