Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Latest obsession is >

Latest obsession is

Latest obsession is

Old 05-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
That's why I love Craigslist - I search for fabric under yard sales and arts and crafts and have come across some good deals. I'm supposed to meet with a woman next week who is going to be moving shortly and wants to sell off some of her stash that is in "bins and bins" in a storage unit. I'm excited – it could be lots of old, smelly calicos, or it could be a gold mine. Such is the thrill of the hunt!
I've seen toooooo much over priced fabric on Craigslist. Latest one yard of 62" wide silk-------$45.

The first place I went I found 6 flannel sheets that I'll reclaim to use in rag blankets and for backing. One king sized beige cotton sheet that I'll save for quilt backing--------next to new. One nice dark red sheet of a solid. or backing. Then at second stop, several small pieces of fabric. Soooooooooooo I skipped the other 3 stops.

Oh, one great find--------lined white linen pants. Got them on now and they are very comfy. Don't know about outside in the summer. Also a cute dress for my GD. Another pair of pants and one pair of shorts
Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I leave my Husband at home when I shop, unless I want something from Home Depot or Lowe's.
I have lots of dust collectors, getting most in cabinets or stored away. Let my Daughter and Granddaughter decide what to do with them when I'm gone.
Going anywhere other than Sears, Lowes, Home Depot or Menards with hubby is out of the question. He did go to Goodwill with me about 5 years ago to get a used TV.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:46 PM

Sounds like you are having lots of fun!

And Craig's list can either be a gold mine or a good laugh. Like grandma's old Singer for $1500.

Or when we were looking for bulk glassware to use for candle making and the lady advertised "lots of glass" and when we called it was 9 pieces! However we did find some from a retiring crafter who had 3000 pieces of just what we were looking for.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Sounds like you are having lots of fun!

And Craig's list can either be a gold mine or a good laugh. Like grandma's old Singer for $1500.

Or when we were looking for bulk glassware to use for candle making and the lady advertised "lots of glass" and when we called it was 9 pieces! However we did find some from a retiring crafter who had 3000 pieces of just what we were looking for.

Some gal had a old singer like I paid about $30 for priced at $600 for weeks.

BTW, I forgot to add one of my great finds was 23 qt. canning jars for $4.50
Old 05-31-2013, 06:50 AM

I, lately, in an effort to unload a few items I know I will never use (and yes, that includes patterns and some fabric), I give them to a friend that works in a thrift shop. I make sure she understands the value of some, as most of the ladies working to price items, have no clue of what to charge for "sewing/quilting" items. My friend works at a shop that carries a lot of higher end items and a lot of people shop there. She says people are always coming in looking for sewing items......
Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

Don't forget to check out the estate sales, especially where they have big girl and big guy sizes. I got an old sundress (cotton) for $2.00 (size 22) and couple of blouses for $1.00 ea. Almost 9 yds of fabric.. Then at night I get out the seam ripper while watching TV. I save every piece. I've reused zippers on other items or trade with a neighbor. My neighbor crochets. She goes after yarn pieces. We trade because if we see something either of us can use we get it and trade. So much fun.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 AM

I am a serious thrift store shopper!! Even my adult sons, my daughter in-law and my grandkids have finally figured out the type of things they have there. Took them long enough!! The hunt is terrific!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 AM

I just spent $24 at a local charity thrift store on slightly used top sheets. I will be able to make at least 20 Princess Pillowcase dresses out of them. Most people must be like my husband who refuses to sleep under a top sheet. I always find a few of them everytime I go to that store. I stay away from the ones that are mostly polyester. The ones that have just a little are good because they look good after laundering without having to be ironed.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:20 AM

I have used top sheets for my quilt backs. They feel soft.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:34 AM

I just tried this for the first time and wish I lived closer to Salem, OR. A great fabric sale there!

http://corvallis.craigslist.org/art/3839071329.html

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
That's why I love Craigslist - I search for fabric under yard sales and arts and crafts and have come across some good deals. I'm supposed to meet with a woman next week who is going to be moving shortly and wants to sell off some of her stash that is in "bins and bins" in a storage unit. I'm excited – it could be lots of old, smelly calicos, or it could be a gold mine. Such is the thrill of the hunt!