Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Layout of backing

I have been looking at so many beautiful quilt tops, but what I am also amazed at are the backings on some of them. They are just as beautiful as the front. Just want to know, when you are piecing for the back of the quilt and then layering it, how do you get it so straight and perfect? I'm sure it comes with time and lots of practice, but I am so afraid of trying to do this with fear that it would not be straight.

Blog Entries
    I pin the centers of each layer then match up the pins as best as I can. I don't sweat it if it's off a bit - I am not making show quilts. If I did, I might feel differently. It's a hobby and supposed to be fun. Enjoy it! :)

Many of my quilt back have borders as I like to use up fabrics that are in the quilt top. When laying out the sandwich to pin baste, I stick a straight pin through border seam corners on the quilt top to see where they land in the backing piece - looking under the batting. I then shift the top if needed to line it up to make sure backing has equal borders.

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    I pin the centers of each layer then match up the pins as best as I can. I don't sweat it if it's off a bit - I am not making show quilts. If I did, I might feel differently. It's a hobby and supposed to be fun. Enjoy it! :)
    Thanks - will try this.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    Many of my quilt back have borders as I like to use up fabrics that are in the quilt top. When laying out the sandwich to pin baste, I stick a straight pin through border seam corners on the quilt top to see where they land in the backing piece - looking under the batting. I then shift the top if needed to line it up to make sure backing has equal borders.
    Thanks - it's a great idea.

saf
    thanks for asking this question. I am just about to put together my first quilt this evening and have been puzzling all day as to how I would go about this. Pins at the ready!

Why didn't I ever think of using a straight pin to find the seams front and back? What a great idea! Thanks.

thanks for the tip.