Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Legacy Premium Muslin from Jo-Ann >

Legacy Premium Muslin from Jo-Ann

Legacy Premium Muslin from Jo-Ann

Old 01-23-2017, 04:35 PM

I've also used this (in my red and white log cabin quilt) and I've found it to feel very nice. It's not extremely thick == but there's a limit to the thickness you really want -- I'd hate to hand-quilt a quilt with the thick kona backing!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 PM

I buy the 108" Legacy Premium Muslin from Jo-Ann by the bolt with a 50% coupon & love it. I have never laundered the whole bolt at once so I'm not sure about the shrinkage but the shrinkage you mentioned doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I haven't found it in Canada so I have to have it shipped to a friend in AZ because Joann's no longer ships to Canada.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:27 AM

Thanks bearisgray, I have looked at this but never used it. I may have to give it a try.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 View Post
I'm wondering if this is the muslini that's perma-press as I bought a bolt of it to make my pillowcases to store quilts. Thought if I got perma-press it would eliminate most of the wrinkles when washed. I used the leftover fabrics from the quilts to make the cuff and give the quilt to whomever in the pillowcase with their name on it (if its a child/baby).

It does eliminate wrinkles. I've made shirts with it. I used to buy Hancock's version of it before they closed.
I used it for almost everything. I've used it in quilts.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:05 AM

I live in Nevada and have used a lot of muslim because it's so airy. Mainly I use it to make shirts and pants, and because I always pre-wash, there is shrinkage, some more than others. I don't think you can pre-wash one brand of muslim and then generalize those findings to all brands of muslim. At least I haven't found that to be true. If I run across a new brand, I prefer to buy a yard and wash it to see how it does. I can always use a yard of muslim for something. In fact, I have been known to shop a sale in the morning, run home and put my sample yards and half-yards through the wash and see how they look. Then I hurry back and buy the best of what came through the wash, like a whole bolt of muslim.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:52 AM

I use this often for hand dye fabric and like it a lot.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:58 AM

If it is perm press, it says so on the end of the bolt or in the description of the number you ordered on line at joanns. The Perm press is lovely. Please confirm which you bought . Thanks for all the info and data. Jane
Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
If it is perm press, it says so on the end of the bolt or in the description of the number you ordered on line at joanns. The Perm press is lovely. Please confirm which you bought . Thanks for all the info and data. Jane
I do not think it was perma- press because it rumpled - in a nice way. Feels very nice. I made curtains ojt of it.

Shrinkage does vary - some fabrics shrink only crosswise,, some only lengthwise, some both ways. Of the hundreds of fabrics that i measured before and after washing, most of them shrank mostly in one direction.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:19 PM

just bought almost all I could get at my local JoAnn's for cutting into squares for our beginner's classes lesson on hand quilting. Ended up having to pull from 3 almost gone bolts! And not enough to use for backs---so it must be a good one as little as they had! It feels really nice, not rough or too thin. Will buy again for my own use.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:46 AM

A good quality muslin, when washed, is in my mind, soft and cuddly like a marshmallow.......and yes, the selvage, when washed before using will pucker more than the fabric..the weave is different...that's the reason we remove it...
I have used in tops, backs, curtains.......bleached and or natural. A good quality is as good as any other fabric mfgrd.