Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Len's Mill Stores >

Len's Mill Stores

Len's Mill Stores

Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

Default Len's Mill Stores

I stopped at Len's Mill London, Ontario for some white on white fabric. The quilting fabric seems quite pricey at $15 to $17 a yard. Do they have sales for regular priced quilting fabric at certain times of the year? I did manage to find some W on W at $7.99 a yard and finished the bolt for an extra 15% off.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:49 AM

They seldom/never have sales but if you finish a bolt you get 15% off. ie the tax.
I only shop there in emergencies (one is a 1/4 mile from my place...so tempting). I only go if I really need something.
I found a better place in cambridge. [email protected]
Old 09-03-2016, 12:01 PM

$7.99 is about what I pay for creme and white blenders at Lens. They do have sales at times. You can go to their website and sign up for their email newsletter/flyer. Also, the first Monday of each month is seniors' day--10% off your purchase if you are over 60.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:40 PM

I am in Windsor and I do wish there was a closer Lens than London. When I do get there, I stock up on what I need.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

Ditto to above ... plus

They always have an area with marked down bolts, usually ends of lines or old stock (sometimes quite old!). Good buys can be found there, if you are lucky. Plus periodically they will offer them at a further discount price, advertised in their flyers or via emails.

It is not uncommon for them to have a % off sale for Christmas fabrics periodically. Also, sometimes for other lines or types of fabrics (eg. fleece, flannelette, upholstery, etc.)

Another thing to watch ... if there is more than one bolt of the same fabric, check the price of all of them. They are priced according to what price they come in at. Sometimes that can mean quite a $ difference ... if you are lucky!

Keep in mind, they are buying fabric in two different ways. One, would be the same as other stores, and the prices will be in line with whatever the current pricing is. The other, they buy job lots at a set price, and pretty much only know how much fabric is arriving. Not knowing what it may be.

I always check their website for coupons before I go. Sometimes they can be quite helpful towards discounting items ... not just in the fabric department.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:06 PM

The clearance fabrics are approximately 7 years old ... but they are still a real deal. I met someone who bought a whole bolt of ugly cotton fabric for around $3/metre for fitting patterns instead of muslin. Some of the fabrics ... well there is a reason they are still around after 7 years but lots is still quite nice. I always check out this section.
Sign up for their emails and track their sales and coupons. There are deals to be had.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

Just thought of another Len'ism...... Black Friday
..... they put all the fabric that had black in it on sale at % off.
Also, notions that had black. Just couldn't count any packaging, it had to be the usable part.

Sometimes the same sort of a thing for St. Paddy's, anything green ....
Old 09-03-2016, 06:47 PM

I just back last weekend from Lens mil in Guelph. And the prices where $8.00 a yard came back with a lot of fabric and even a large roll of batten 80/20. Got about 12 different colors of cotton and all was $8 a yard.
Here in North Bay fabric starts at $17 and up and the only store to go to is Fabric land anf they never have much to choose from .
I will be going back to Lens in Guelph next time with a bulk order for all the quilts I have in mind and the ladies where really helpful.

Tom
Old 09-04-2016, 02:51 AM

Can someone please explain why fabric in Canada is so expensive?
Old 09-04-2016, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Can someone please explain why fabric in Canada is so expensive?
Everything is more expensive in Canada: clothes, appliances, vehicles, etc. Why? Because they can.
now with our money 30% less cross border shopping isn't as much of an option.