I have been working on a bargello quilt, which I purchased the fabric for probably 5 years ago. This is a huge “lesson learned” for me. I, at first, thought that my problems with this quilt were going to be that, 1. I couldn’t find the pattern directions, 2. I did not purchase enough fabric for the back, and 3. I can no longer get this fabric. Well, those were not my biggest problem. I calculated at least 3 times maybe more (on my calculator) to be sure that I would have enough fabric for my borders knowing that I would have to use one ˝ yard of fabric to piece the back, which was a different pattern than the outer border. Well, my brain must not have been “in gear” because low and behold when I started putting on my last border, I came up 21 inches too short on my last side. Now the only matching fabric I had left was about a 2 ˝ inch strip (41” L) and a 1 1/2 inch strip about the same length. At this point, I had no choice but to sew the two strips together and then cut my last 3 ˝ inch strip, which I did. Fortunately, I had decided to keep this quilt so I am sure no one else will ever notice this stupid mistake. As it is, I am going to have to sew 2 pieces of fabric to the top and bottom of the backing in order for it to be long enough for my long arm sewing person to attach to her machine. That is not the end of the world.
My lessons learned are, 1. I will never feel guilty again about purchasing too much fabric. This is one of those times when I could have used more and 2. Don’t put a quilt away for 5 years without being absolutely certain that you have all the fabric you need because in 5 years it is most likely you will not be able to find that same fabric and pattern.
This quilt is flannel and the flannels are beautiful. This helps as it is more difficult to see the mistake. Another bout of Sometimer’s disease!
Here is the quilt and a pic of a quilt I made for my greatgranddaughter, Edie.
Top left corner showing where it is pieced.
Tinkerbell Quilt for 5 yr old GGD