Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    For the last week I was the only one bidding on two Mark Lipinski Quilting HOme Mags. Then last night as I watched the countdown.....it went to "0" then I got notes saying I did not win. Someone snuck in at the last second and overbid me by 25 cents. I even had high bids I would go to. I was soooooo..
    disappointed. I discovered his mags late and only have 5. Since he left QH I am on a quest to buy whatever I can find. Lesson learned....I can't believe someone did that. I might have to consider it too. I sat here 2 hours waiting ofr other bids so I could go up. I have only bid on Ebay about 20 times. Oh well.

I have learned the hard way also. I now put in the max I will go on the item and then wait. If I don't win I tell myself I wouldn't go any higher anyway, but most of the time I win for less than my max bid. Sorry for your disappointment.

I know someone who bids a lot on Ebay. He sets his watch alarm to the last minutes of the auction so that he can sneak in and get his bid in at the last minute. He is very successful at getting what he wants.
    So sorry for you, though!

Blog Entries
    you really have to be fast during the last seconds LOL, on dial/up that ain't going to happen..

Blog Entries
    I use a free snipe program...I set it with my highest bid that I want to go to, and it bids for me in the last 3 seconds of the auction.

I use "Just Snipe"....it's free for 5 bids per week...

You stand a better chance with it because other bidders don't know what you're bidding, and they may not bid as high themselves because of it. Hope that makes sense!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately I live in the country and there is not high speed available. Good suggestion, I will put in as high as I want to go and if I lose...on to the next one. I have been watching for his mags but these were the last two on ebay. I can buy them thru him and pay a little more. Less stress. LOL. I am glad Mark has a new job and will subscribe to Fabric Trends and read him there.

I have a Quilter's Home Jan/Feb2009 if you are interested in a trade? PM if you are interested.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Charlee...what a great idea. Thank you. I learn so much on these chats.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thanks TammyD I am PM'ing you now.

Banned
    I have the fastest internet you can buy from Comcast and I can bid up to 3 times in 5 seconds but if you really want the item just throw the bank at it and that way you know you will get it.

If you have been on the NeedlsBar for any amount of time then you knew about the 600 machines in KY that were on ebay. I had hem hawed around for a week topping everyones bids and when I went to get my hair cut I realized that the auction was set to end in an hour or two. I got home too late and lost to a $600 and something bid. If I would have thrown the bank at it like I should have in the first place I would have owned those machines.

The lessons we learn through the years.........

Billy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Good advice Lostin51. I am learning a lot. Since I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the one and only high speed I can get here in the country (and I love it here)..I am going to "Throw the bank" at what I really, really want.
    I love this term. Thank you.

That's how I bid all the time. I wait till the last few minutes.
    It's just like an auction you attend in person. If your not fast enough you don't win the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    I use a free snipe program...I set it with my highest bid that I want to go to, and it bids for me in the last 3 seconds of the auction.

I use "Just Snipe"....it's free for 5 bids per week...

You stand a better chance with it because other bidders don't know what you're bidding, and they may not bid as high themselves because of it. Hope that makes sense!
    thanks for this info, I have never heard of Snipe

You could also post a 'looking for' thread here in the classifieds section. Some others may have what issues you're looking for.

It's all about the timing all the way around. I've been fortunate that when the bug hits I'll find something that the auction is no more than an hour from ending, mostly its down to the last minutes. That's when I'll bid.

I "experimented" once with bidding on something that was days out and it felt like the price would raise faster because there was activity on the item that far ahead, which in turn would make me hit my max before it was even close to closing.

I find that if I wait until the end to try to outbid people, then I end up bidding more than I want because I get competitive. I always put the highest I can stand to pay as my high bid and ebay does the rest. It will keep rebidding for me and like others, once it goes beyond my high bid, I just remind myself it wasn't worth any more to me and wait for the next time.

If your high bid is high enough, then you will be the one you will beat everyone at the last minute.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    I know someone who bids a lot on Ebay. He sets his watch alarm to the last minutes of the auction so that he can sneak in and get his bid in at the last minute. He is very successful at getting what he wants.
    You don't need to do that. There is something called "Auction Sniper". "Sniping" is the term for bidding at the last second in order to win. You tell Auction Sniper which item you want, and the maximum bid you want to make, and the seconds till the end to place the bid. I use Auction Sniper all the time for things I really want. Good luck. And if you do sign on to Auction Sniper, use me: gaigai as a referral.

I know you're disappointed, but it's all part of the bidding process. If you use Auction Sniper, you do have a higher chance of getting what you want.

Blog Entries
    Sorry you didn't win, yes lots of them wait to the last few seconds to place the bid.

Craftybear

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    For the last week I was the only one bidding on two Mark Lipinski Quilting HOme Mags. Then last night as I watched the countdown.....it went to "0" then I got notes saying I did not win. Someone snuck in at the last second and overbid me by 25 cents. I even had high bids I would go to. I was soooooo..
    disappointed. I discovered his mags late and only have 5. Since he left QH I am on a quest to buy whatever I can find. Lesson learned....I can't believe someone did that. I might have to consider it too. I sat here 2 hours waiting ofr other bids so I could go up. I have only bid on Ebay about 20 times. Oh well.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I am learning a lot on here today. I agree..the bidding goes up faster when you bid right away. I will "watch" my items and try bidding at the last minute also. I need to hurry and get HUghes net out here. LOL

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    If I sign up for sniper Gaigai I will use you as a referral. Thanks

Blog Entries
    The other nice thing with a snipe program is that you don't have to be online at the end of the auction!

When I see see something I want I usually won't bid - because if I bid I feel that I am showing more interest and I want to lay low.....but I bookmark it - and I will watch it - and then I will wait til it is just about to end and then bid near the end of the auction - I will rarely bid early - and most of the time it will work :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by lots2do
    You don't need to do that. There is something called "Auction Sniper". "Sniping" is the term for bidding at the last second in order to win. You tell Auction Sniper which item you want, and the maximum bid you want to make, and the seconds till the end to place the bid. I use Auction Sniper all the time for things I really want. Good luck. And if you do sign on to Auction Sniper, use me: gaigai as a referral.

I know you're disappointed, but it's all part of the bidding process. If you use Auction Sniper, you do have a higher chance of getting what you want.
    Just curious, what happens if the other bidders are using this program too? Who comes out the winner if there is only a few seconds left, and 3 people using Sniper are bidding at the same time?

I have never done ebay and I never want to. My husband and my two sons use it and Craig's List all the time. They really like it and they get some good deals. In fact, my husband got my Bernina embroidery module off ebay for a good price. Still, I have no interest in it. I suppose you could say that I am technophobic. Fortunately, the men in my world do the ebay work for me.

Thanks for that link. I need to use that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast