Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Just curious, what happens if the other bidders are using this program too? Who comes out the winner if there is only a few seconds left, and 3 people using Sniper are bidding at the same time?
    Well, it still comes down to whose snipe goes through last before the auction closes. It is unlikely, given the number of ebay transactions that occur every minute, that two people's snipes would not only be put through on exactly the same item for exactly the same amount at exactly the same instance, but if it were, it still would be won by the bid that cleared electronically at the last possible moment before the auction ended. Now that I have re-read that sentence, I would have to guess that it is probably easier to win the lottery than for that to happen!

:shock:

Have been clearing out old magazines & recycling them. Have a couple in the bin & will check them in the AM to see if they are ones you'd like.

Have you checked your library. I went today and found at least 20 books and pattern books, all for free!

Okay, have March/April 08, September/October 08, January/February 09 and June/July 09. Sent me a PM w/ address if you want them.

You can let them know how high you will go and by what increment (a quarter, a dollar, whatever you choose) and they will place your bid for you until someone bids over your limit. That's probably what the person who outbid you did.

sorry you lost out on the mags, but I wanted to say that I didnt know Mark had left QH. I should have known, the last issue just wasnt the same! I loved reading about him and his dogs...he gave the magazine really nice personality, LOL! So what magazine is he at now?

With Auction Sniper, you can adjust the number of seconds before the end of the auction to bid. The set # is 7 seconds, but you can lower it. The danger of lowering is that if there is interference or too much traffic, it might get there too late. I love AuctionSniper because I put my walk-away figure in and then just put it out of my mind. That way you don't get in frenzy and pay too much at the last minute.

If there are several lots of the thing you want, you can also set up a bidding group on AuctionSniper, and set the price for each item. It will bid on each until you win one, and then stop bidding.

Blog Entries
    That is the best way to do it. I did that recently to get my Featherweight and also a buttonholder attachment. That way you also don't waste a whole bunch of time sitting there. Either you win for the max amount you would spend, less and say Hurrah!, or know that you wouldn't have spent more anyway. If you are the high bidder in the end, you will also have gone down to the line on the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Granna of 5
    I have learned the hard way also. I now put in the max I will go on the item and then wait. If I don't win I tell myself I wouldn't go any higher anyway, but most of the time I win for less than my max bid. Sorry for your disappointment.

Blog Entries
    Another secret, if you don't want to do an automatic bid it to wait til the very end to put in your bid and not bid during the previous time as it only ends up raising the bid if someone else is interested. If you, for instance, are bidding on something you want to pay $30 and no more, you either put that in as the max and let ebay bid for you OR you wait til the last few minutes of the auction and only bid just above the amount of the last bidder. Either way, you are only going to pay the minimum amount required at that point so why not bid the automatic way and be done with it!
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    For the last week I was the only one bidding on two Mark Lipinski Quilting HOme Mags. Then last night as I watched the countdown.....it went to "0" then I got notes saying I did not win. Someone snuck in at the last second and overbid me by 25 cents. I even had high bids I would go to. I was soooooo..
    disappointed. I discovered his mags late and only have 5. Since he left QH I am on a quest to buy whatever I can find. Lesson learned....I can't believe someone did that. I might have to consider it too. I sat here 2 hours waiting ofr other bids so I could go up. I have only bid on Ebay about 20 times. Oh well.

Ebay is great - When you win you win big, when you lose it was not meant to be. Lots of great advice, will have to locate the auction sniper next time.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    Unfortunately I live in the country and there is not high speed available. Good suggestion, I will put in as high as I want to go and if I lose...on to the next one. I have been watching for his mags but these were the last two on ebay. I can buy them thru him and pay a little more. Less stress. LOL. I am glad Mark has a new job and will subscribe to Fabric Trends and read him there.
    I currently have a subscription to his magazine. The last one that came said that he will be coming back. I'm not sure in what capacity.

Power Poster
    I lost out to an item, too, at the last second. I didn't know about "sniping" then.

Now I also just put in my maximum bid and let it be. Most of the things I could probably survive nicely without, anyway.

I did this last week too watching a EZ quilting frame. It was a 7 day auction that sat at less than $40 for days. In the last two minutes it went up, up, up and up. It sold for $350. Needless to say I didn't even bid on it.

That has happened to me as well. I heard there is software people buy allowing them to sneak in during the final couple of SECONDS and snipe a deal. With my internet service, I can't bid with less than a minute to go, it won't go through in time. I think the idea of bidding as high as you are willing to go is a good one.

Banned
    There some sellers that will run up the bids on purpose by logging in on another account and out bidding the high bidder to save on the listing cost of a reserve auction.

I know this to be true because I knew a certain seller that did that because I recognized the id's and have sold to him several times under his "Buyer" id.

I broke him of that when I turned him in after finding out about this. Needless to say he does not sell on there anymore, and he has gripped about it to me in person not knowing I was the one who turned him in. But years ago it would show the buyers id instead of an anonymous id.

Billy

The site I use to snipe a Ebay item is called Hammersnipe. You are allowed to snipe 3 items per week for free with last 10 second bids. But for a fee, you can bid even more closely to the closing.
    I think it is cool that you will get the magazines that you are looking for, just by asking us!!

good for you ! I can't stand people who does that . They think $ grows on tree or that their stuff is "gold". LOL

I've seen it before and have no idea what PM means...can you help please?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Thank you so much for checking. I have had so many replies. Looks like I may have all but the first issue coming. I did some trading with the others. I will let you know if those don't come in. Thank you so much. I will remember you...if you ever need anything I will watch too.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Ok everyone. YOur responses have been wonderful. However,,,,,I have heard from other Pickles and seem to have all the mags cominmg in and will have the whole set. I am in Pickle Heaven. So thank you all. I will watch the board in case I can "Pay it Forward". I had no idea this would happen. I was just so broken hearted over the two mags I missed on...now apparently I might be getting the whole set. Thank you......

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I hope they catch the ones with multiple accounts. I have heard this before too. It's so sad we have those who take advantage. But I know, above all, I can trust my fellow Pickles and feel very safe on here. My new family of pickles.LOL

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    For those who don't know what a pickle is. I am a member of Mark Lipinski's Pickle Posse. So I have a habit of calling my other quilting friends pickles. no offense meant.
    The Quilting Board has been so good to me and I have meant lots of friends. Love to Live Chat too.

Balloonatic, PM stands for "personal message". You can click on a user`s name and a page will come up that gives you the option of sending that person a personal message. It`s kinda like e-mail here on the forum. Members do this when they need to share something, such as their home address (in this case, in order to send the magazine) with one person rather than putting it out there for the world to see. [IMG]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/s...asuewho/03.gif[/IMG]

Thank you I appreciate the tips!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Carlasuewho, I adore your avatar!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast