Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ARRRGGGGHHHH> Ebay lesson learned

Look up there at the top of the page, click on Private Messages. I sent ya one just for giggles and snorts![IMG]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/s...suewho/hi5.gif[/IMG]

You pull the what offa ..well huh!

HELLO! They`re called private for a reason! Now er`body knows I like to pull the wangs off`n flies!
    [IMG]http://i564.photobucket.com/albums/s...edoutsmile.gif[/IMG]
    I`m just playin witchya. I`m sure you get the idear. So funneh.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    That's how I bid all the time. I wait till the last few minutes.
    It's just like an auction you attend in person. If your not fast enough you don't win the item.
    Thats right! Sometimes I wait til the last few seconds. :thumbup:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    That's how I bid all the time. I wait till the last few minutes.
    It's just like an auction you attend in person. If your not fast enough you don't win the item.
    Thats right! Sometimes I wait til the last few seconds. :thumbup:
    The problem with that is you don't know how fast your server is, or the activity on it, so you can still miss out. Plus, I'm not usually able to be at my computer when an auction ends, since most of them end in the daytime when I'm sleeping, or in the evening when I'm at work. This way I place my bid and forget about it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I hope they catch the ones with multiple accounts. I have heard this before too.
    I had 2 accounts on eBay one for buying and one for selling but I never used the two to make me more money by running up the bids. It just made buying and selling a lot easier for me.

But I closed both accounts several years back because eBay is not fun anymore and their fees are ridiculous. I look just to see whats out there but if I want to buy something I usually just look on CL , Goodwill's Auction page and this forums for sale section.

Billy

I sent you a PM

Valuable lesson learned. I, too, once lost a bid after the zero. I now don't bid until the very end and I usually win the item I am bidding on. Bidding ahead of time only runs up the price. Most "career" ebayers don't bid until the last few minutes. So sorry you didn't get your mags.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockeb
    When I see see something I want I usually won't bid - because if I bid I feel that I am showing more interest and I want to lay low.....but I bookmark it - and I will watch it - and then I will wait til it is just about to end and then bid near the end of the auction - I will rarely bid early - and most of the time it will work :-)
    I thought about that, after I made my bid. Sure enough, I was out bid on one of them.

I'm very experienced buying and selling on ebay. My recommendation is to use a snipe program (esnipe.com is my favorite). Bid your maximum. esnipe will place your bid whenever you say (default is 6 seconds prior to the end). I don't like to go any tighter. Biding your maximum with a snipe service allows you to be calm and sensible and not get caught up in the frenzy of bidding at the last second. As far as throwing the bank at it, if that's what you are willing to pay, do it as a snipe. There are people out there who enjoy pushing bidders up. It's like they don't know what their maximum is, but they push you to your max, and figure if you were willing to pay that much, it must be a good deal for them to beat you by a few cents. Or they just push for fun to see how much they can add to your bid. If your bid isn't there till the last few seconds, they can't push you. Snipes services also cover the case where you forgot to bid, or the auction ends when you are sleeping or away from your computer. I place all of my important bids that way.

Banned
    Kathy your right about pushing a bid, I did that on a set of Hubcaps for a 1957 Cadillac one time. I was really wanting them they were new old stock and I kept hitting the bid button running the bid up to see where this guy was. I threw the bank at them at the last minute and got them but the auction started at .99 and I ended up paying over $1200 for the set. But when I started bidding it was a couple of hours left and I went up in $30 increments until I got to around $650 and still never had the high bid. So I waited until 3 seconds left and threw $2,000 on them and got them for the $1200. That has been the only set of NOS '57 Caddy hubcaps I have ever seen! And they were on my 1951 Ford for several years before I took them off. Now they are hanging on my garage wall waiting for another car to go on.

Billy

Blog Entries
    I just lost one in the final seconds. But I did get 2 others.

One thing you need to remember when bidding at the last seconds, don't put in a even amount of money. Depending on how much the item is the increments change as the bidding goes up. At the last seconds if the item is sitting at lets say $30.00 and you are willing to pay $40.00 for it at this time bids go up every .25 Place your bid at $40.03 or $40.57. You would be surprised at how many I have won by putting in an odd amount. Most people do sit on the auction til the end and bid in even numbers. I have won alot of auctions by bidding just .03 over what the last "sniper" bid.

I buy and sell on eBay and most bids are made at the last minute. Very few of my sales have any bids before the last hour or so, that is very common. And I do it myself, if I am shopping and see something I want I will wait until the last minute to make my bid. It is just the nature of eBay shopping.
    I understand there are proxy programs that you can sign up for that will place your last minute bid for you, so no matter how you try you may well just get beaten by an online service that bids for the buyer.

Bev
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    For the last week I was the only one bidding on two Mark Lipinski Quilting HOme Mags. Then last night as I watched the countdown.....it went to "0" then I got notes saying I did not win. Someone snuck in at the last second and overbid me by 25 cents. I even had high bids I would go to. I was soooooo..
    disappointed. I discovered his mags late and only have 5. Since he left QH I am on a quest to buy whatever I can find. Lesson learned....I can't believe someone did that. I might have to consider it too. I sat here 2 hours waiting ofr other bids so I could go up. I have only bid on Ebay about 20 times. Oh well.
    There are people who have a set-up where their bid always gets in at the last second. It's done automatically.
    it's very frustrating.
    8-) 8-)

sorry about your luck with that i have had that happen to me before and i know it is very disappointing

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I am so sorry, I have looked at things on ebay, but no money to buy anything. maybe if I ever get money I won't buy there. Penny

have any of you tried craigslist.com the seller puts his or her price that is what you pay for it i have found much better things than ebay and much cheaper once got 10 yrds of antique material for 2 dollars it was wounderfull good luck with ebay

Is it legal to use the snipes on EBAY?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I think I will give Craig's List a shot. I don't know if SNiping is illegal but must not be if it is in use (?)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammo013
    Is it legal to use the snipes on EBAY?
    Not only is it legal, it's part of the fun!

I wouldn't find sniping fun at all! Fun is knowing you "earned" the bargain. Sniping is like sending someone else to the auction. I would rather lose an item than cheat, which is what I personally consider those types of programs to be.

kso
    Have you tried using an auction sniping program? I like to use hammersnipe.com

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragann63
    I wouldn't find sniping fun at all! Fun is knowing you "earned" the bargain. Sniping is like sending someone else to the auction. I would rather lose an item than cheat, which is what I personally consider those types of programs to be.
    It not only is NOT cheating (ebay has it's own snipe program), it is using technology to do something for you faster than you can do it yourself. Like the difference between quilting by hand and quilting by machine. Both end up with a finished product but one is faster than another. But then I know that some people don't consider machine quilting "real quilting" either.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gaigai
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragann63
    It not only is NOT cheating (ebay has it's own snipe program), it is using technology to do something for you faster than you can do it yourself. Like the difference between quilting by hand and quilting by machine. Both end up with a finished product but one is faster than another. But then I know that some people don't consider machine quilting "real quilting" either.
    I was thinking the same thing......

I will snipe the you know what out of an auction if I want something. I like Goodwills auction site I have scored some pretty nice machines for next to nothing and then have someone I know that lives in that city go pick it up for me so I dont have to pay shipping.

Billy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast