Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Let the fun begin >

Let the fun begin

Let the fun begin

Old 10-19-2016, 09:03 AM

Since I can no longer work on the floor, I bought a piece of plywood and cut it to fit my ironing board--a little longer and somewhat wider than the ironing board. I covered it with a fleece-lined picnic table cloth. I start in the middle and center my quilt. I smooth it out and glue it. Then move it and smooth and glue. When I have done the center of the quilt, I iron it, and then move to another section and repeat. This works for me. Sure saves the knees and the back.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:21 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Well live and learn, sigh. The backing is cotton broadcloth ( I thought ) but it must have some polyester in it because my Elmer's glue will not stick! Oh well, I muscled through the SITD between the blocks. I see it is going to be one of " those" quilts. A nightmare from beginning to end.
I think that birthing a quilt sometimes becomes a breach birth with lots of problems and once you are done you are left totally pooped!
Old 10-19-2016, 04:27 PM
mac

Has anyone seen Sharon Shamber's (I think that is her name, if I have the wrong name, please correct me). Anyway, this lady had a UTube video on how she bastes a quilt using 2 long pieces of boards to hold the quilt down. Of course, she is thread basting the quilt, however, I can see using this system to glue baste your quilt, too. She has it rolled up on the boards and you unroll the top and bottom of the quilt as you need it. This way you can sit at a table and not have to kneel on the floor. My knees can no longer do this kind of function and I was planning to try this method the next time I needed to baste a quilt. I'll see if I can find the website for this video.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:37 PM
mac

Okay, this is the website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyaLsMafElo

I am thinking that the same process would work for gluing your fabric and you can glue top and bottom at the same time. You can use your iron to dry the glue and go one from there.

There is one thing that I am not sure would work, however, and that is she says to starch your fabric two or three times so that it becomes flatter and easier to handle. Does anyone know if the glue would stick to a starched piece of material?

What do you all think about this method?
Old 10-19-2016, 05:19 PM

I glue baste on the ironing board......put the batting down then the glue the top and iron as I go then turn it over and glue the back...