Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Licensing >

Licensing

Licensing

Old 09-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Thank you, MTS - this is really helpful!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:32 AM

They can be used for personal use, gifts, etc. However nothing made with licensed fabrics can be sold for a profit, not at craft shows or elsewhere. You would have to get permission from the owner (team, etc) of the license in order to produce something with the fabric and sell it somewhere, no if's, ands, or buts about it. Many times, when you purchas a pattern also, it will say that you can not use that pattern to make something to sell. Other patterns will actually say that it is ok to sell what you make by using that pattern. When we find a picture in a magazine, etc. and want to make a pictoral quilt from it, we are always supposed to contact the artist for permission, because otherwise it is considered a copyright violation.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by MIJul
What about the embroidery patterns? I see people selling Disney characters all the time on bibs, shirts, etc. at craft shows. Do they get permission from Disney when they purchase the patterns? Just wondering...
usually not and just because they do it does not mean it is right/legal!
Question on Disney and stuff. I am buying a Brother embroidery machine which has preloaded Disney images on it. I plan on possibly using these for quilts and items to give away as presents, not to make money. IF I wanted to put some things with it on for a booth at a quilt show (small local lets say) to sell for some extra money it would be ok if I have disclaimer that I do not represent Disney, yadda yadda?
If you read the information that comes with your machine, I am pretty sure it will say you cannot sell items with the embroidery on them.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
Thanks MTS. that is great info. i have bookmarked it.
me too. thank you.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM

I have a friend using licensed fabric and selling them all over the place and she is doing a craft fair this weekend. Does this mean she is breaking the law?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM

The check makers now have limited teams, OU went franchise, only one bank has bought the use, no one has transferred their accounts so they can get the OU checks. How did that work out for you OU and I can't even remember what bank carries them.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ploverwi2
They can be used for personal use, gifts, etc. However nothing made with licensed fabrics can be sold for a profit, not at craft shows or elsewhere. You would have to get permission from the owner (team, etc) of the license in order to produce something with the fabric and sell it somewhere, no if's, ands, or buts about it. Many times, when you purchas a pattern also, it will say that you can not use that pattern to make something to sell. Other patterns will actually say that it is ok to sell what you make by using that pattern. When we find a picture in a magazine, etc. and want to make a pictoral quilt from it, we are always supposed to contact the artist for permission, because otherwise it is considered a copyright violation.
If you read what MTS has posted and go on to the relevant site to read the info there, it seems that this isn't so as long as you include a disclamour in your labelling!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by MZStitch
It's unlawful to sell a product that displays someone else's image without the image owner's permission -- even if the maker of the product lawfully purchased the fabric (or any other material) that contains the image. The fabric comes with a "personal use license".

The rationale is: consumers would likely falsely believe that the image owner either made the product or sponsors, endorses, or is somehow associated with the maker of the product made from the fabric (in violation of trademark law).

Sorry!
Not quite.
http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...edFabric.shtml
Wow, very powerful reading. I read the whole thing over & over so it would make sense to me. I even printed it to share with friends.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:08 AM

Golly, I had never even thought of that.

I have bought fabric with College LOGOS on, from ebay.

What about buying /selling shirts a\etc with logos on them at gr. sales.? You see it all the time.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by joyceinoh
Golly, I had never even thought of that.

I have bought fabric with College LOGOS on, from ebay.

What about buying /selling shirts a\etc with logos on them at gr. sales.? You see it all the time.
I always wondered about quilts, shirts, etc... when purchased at auctions and thrift stores. I don't see how they could ever enforce the laws that exist today. People have no idea when they sell or purchase items like this what the laws are.