Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Light Weight Machines for Quilting???? >

Light Weight Machines for Quilting????

Light Weight Machines for Quilting????

Old 10-08-2009, 11:27 AM

Hi there. I am new to this board and to quilting. I have made patchwork quilts from old clothes and used worn out blankets for batting just as my grandmother did but I have never tackled something like a dresden plate design or anything that required some quilting knowledge & expertise. I would like to get a small machine that I can take with me to classes and have noticed that many quilters have old Singer Featherweights that are reputed to have fantastic straight stitch capability. Are there any of the new lightweight machines on the market that have a comparable straight stitch quality? Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM

Welcome to the board from southern California.
may sewing machine makers make a smaller more portable machine. I know Bernina has their "Bernette. I think Janome makes a little machine, a friend of mine has a little Brother machine. etc
Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Janome makes great portable lightweight machines called Gems. Several different types of Gems too. Be sure and look at the Kenmore machines. They are made the same as Janome, Sears here sells Janome along side the Kenmores.
If you happen to find a Singer 301, it is really a better machine then the Featherweight as far as having more umph and it's a great quilting machine. It's lightweight enough to carry to classes.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 PM

I have a no frills Elna, that I love and it's very portable.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:41 PM
Dix

Hi, Was in Sears yesterday buying a freezer. Ours went out while we were on vacation. While DH was paying, i was looking at sewing machines. The salesperson told me that Kenmore machines were made by Panasonic!. FYI!
Old 10-09-2009, 05:22 AM

Can't thank you all enough for your replies, but has anyone had any experience with newer lightweight machines other than the old Singer Featherweights?
Found it very interesting that Panasonic makes machines for Sears.

Argue not with dragons, for thou art crunchy and go well with brie.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I have an email from Sears stating the better Kenmore machines are made by White which makes Janome and other brands. Some Sears sell Singers, and I've seen low end machines in some
Sears stores the same as WalMart. These days you have to be a very informed customer and do research on any major purchase no matter where you buy it.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I've heard the Janome Gem is a good lightweight machine for taking to classes.

Another option, if you have dealerships nearby, is to stop in and ask about small portable used machines. Some of the older (not so old as Singer featherweights, though) machines were quite good.

I picked up a delightful 70s machine (can tell it was the 70s because of the colors and flowers on it!) that is small and lightweight in its own carrying case for something like $20 at a local thrift shop. It would be perfect for taking to classes (something I don't do much anymore).

I also have a featherweight and a 301. The 301 is really too bulky and too heavy for me to want to take to quilt classes, although it is a wonderful heavy-duty machine.