Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Light weight machines

Light weight machines

Does anyone purchase lightweight machines for classes or travel? Anyone have the Viking 100 q?

I am interested in the answers you get. I am looking for a small light weight simple machine to keep in my camper.
    With quilters for friends, I will always be warm.

Singer Featherweights are the best I have found. They sew a great stitch and are made of all medal. Indestructible
    gotta love them and they weigh only 11 lbs.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Banned
    I have found that in classes the light weight machines don't always perform as desired. I shutter when a students brings one to a FMQ quilting class and even clases that are more than just piecing two pieces of fabric together.
    They don't usually have the extension tables which make any quilting easier.
    The recommendation of Singer Featherweight is an excellent one. I highly recommend it if you an find one within your price range. If you find one without it's case then get a Bowling ball bag and take the wire rack out. Fit perfectly. Another thought. If you are taking a machine quilting class, then take to class the machine you intend to use at home and not the travel machine.

I have a Janome Gem that I just love. And it is great for piecing.

I love the Featherweight for taking to classes. For FMQ I have to drag along my Brother single stitch, but it is worth it.
    Diana

I have a small Janomi I bought for travel, classes, or whatever, & I love it! Ran around $90 when I bought it at a Hancock's a few years back...
    Nancy/NC...
    "Because Nice Matters"
    "Choose To Be Happy"

Get a machine that can do FMQ and zig zag, applique stitching or you'll limit yourself. I've heard great things about Janome Jems.

Blog Entries
    I'm looking at the Janome 3160 QDC. The owner let me use it for a MacTavishing FMQ class and it worked perfectly. Has an extension table. Only downside is that it is $799. Thread cutter too and only 13 lb.

JT
    Aggie...I'm not sure where you live, but I bought a 3160 QDC last spring for about $600. It is a great machine. check some other dealers. Good luck!
    JT

I bought the Janome 3160 for a class machine. One key feature was the included extension table. It's been great. I negotiated an after-tax price of $599 from a dealer in MA close to NH, where there is no tax. I also took an FMQ class with the machine and it performed wonderfully. Even though I'll use my 7700 at home for FMQ.

I have the Janome 760 and love it for travel and classes. It has an up/down button which I can't do without and you can stitch out many motifs and have the ability to control your length and width.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

I like my Singer Featherweight and I love it!! Its all metal and very lightweight. I can carry it and all my other stuff for class in one trip!

When I could finally no longer lug my old reliable mechanical Brother to class, I looked for a lightweight machine to replace it and got a Janome 720. LOVE IT! Then at a silent auction my guild held I won a Tutto wheeled carrier. Two of the best investments I ever made.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Anyone know anything about the lightweight brother?

Quote Originally Posted by mucky View Post
    Anyone know anything about the lightweight brother?
    Which lightweight brother? I had 4 of the LS2125 Brothers in my classroom for 2 years. It was lightweight and worked great, never had a problem with it. When I upgraded, I sold the classroom machines - one to a gal who needed it for a class she was taking on making purses. The instructor was so impressed with it, she purchased all the remaining machines I had to put in her classroom for student use.

If you get a lightweight machine, go to the dollar store and get a package of rubber shelf liner. Put a piece under the machine, it will keep it stable on any surface.

Also, all machines differ a little bit. For example, a 1/4" seam is not going to be exactly the same on your Janome 2010, your Jamone 720, your Brother LS2125, etc. So, if you are starting an important project, and keeping your seams consistent is important, you need to start, and finish, on the same machine. Otherwise there may be maddening subtle differences when you try to match seams up or in the width of your borders after sewn.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Featherweights are the best of the older machines for portability, IMHO. THere are a lot of small Janomes out there that are supposed to be good, too. Good luck!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I love the Janome Gem machines. and now that Kenmore and Janome are made by the same people, all of the Kenmore feet fit my Janome!
    NO matter what machine you choose, ALWAYS find out before class what type of tables will be used, if they are plastic banquet tables, go to the flooring store and buy a BOUND carpet sample that is about 18" x 24". Use under your machine to keep it from bouncing around on the plastic table while you sew!

I have a low end brother, they are all very lightweight usually around 12lbs or so, have loved all of mine

I swear by the Singer Featherweight for straight stitching mostly. It does not do any fancy stitches but I have heavy
    machines that do all that and my kids will put it on the table for me. Once I get that sewing room organized I will keep all my machines out. Friend bought a Janome Gem for classes etc. and she loves it. Especially the needle threader. Now
    that needle threader alone would be a big plus for me. It just depends on what you want to use the machine for. I
    know people that have top of the line sewing machines but they do everything. I still need my Singer as I can move that around easily.

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
    I bought the Janome 3160 for a class machine. One key feature was the included extension table. It's been great. I negotiated an after-tax price of $599 from a dealer in MA close to NH, where there is no tax. I also took an FMQ class with the machine and it performed wonderfully. Even though I'll use my 7700 at home for FMQ.
    I have this same set up and love it! I used to have a Janome Gem but found I didn't like the 3/4 size. The 3160 weighs the same as the Gem but is full sized and has more features. Love it! I got mine from Brubaker's Sewing Center in PA. I have no connection - just a happy customer!