Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting for Sewing Room >

Lighting for Sewing Room

Lighting for Sewing Room

Old 09-03-2015, 01:58 PM

I recently hung some LED shop lights above my quilt machine. They're wonderful! Lots of bright light and lots cooler than the old lights. Got them at Sam's
Old 09-04-2015, 04:09 AM

I can see the best with Halogen, which is directly overhead of my sewing machine, and with an Ott Light on the needle area. Having said this, I think the best light today is LED, but it is hard on my eyes!
Old 09-04-2015, 06:05 AM

When we were doing our basement for my sewing, I went to our local lighting store and asked them what would be best. Answer, overhead fluorescent light fixtures are the best task lighting. I have three end to end over my longarm and one each over my cutting area and sewing cabinet. It's very bright, no shadows, and has worked well. This past week we replaced a fluroescent light fixture in the cabin and found out something interesting about them. The narrower the light bulb the more watts. I didn't realize the new one I bought was one inch light bulbs (32 watts) and the old one had 1 1/2" light bulbs (28 watts). The new one is much brighter.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

FYI: I was told by a lighting technician that designs lighting for corporations that the LED lights are made not to be turned off. Turning off and on will shorten the life of the bulb. To get the actual life as quoted on the package the bulb is turned on and left. They cost practically nothing to be left on anyway. I don't think about having the lights turned off anymore. Don't get the swirly bulbs, they are nasty little buggers. I write the date when I put in a new bulb on the base of the bulb.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 AM

I just moved my sewing room into the basement. I'm in a dark corner with no window. I went with quite a few recessed lights and they're great for general overhead lighting. But they're not enough light for cutting and ironing. I've added a bunch of standing Ott lights. So....I don't recommend recessed. I wish I'd gone with flourescents. Just my opinion.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:56 AM

Go for something that spreads light out over a large area and does not produce shadows. Don't do any kind of "spot" lighting.

If you go with CFLs, educate yourself about the "temperature" range. This doesn't refer to how hot the bulb gets, rather it refers to the color of light it produces - warm (yellowish) or cold (blueish). The bulb's packaging should have a temperature rating, I have found that 5000K gives the truest light, meaning it's closest to real daylight.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cam's gram View Post
When we were doing our basement for my sewing, I went to our local lighting store and asked them what would be best. Answer, overhead fluorescent light fixtures are the best task lighting. I have three end to end over my longarm and one each over my cutting area and sewing cabinet. It's very bright, no shadows, and has worked well. This past week we replaced a fluroescent light fixture in the cabin and found out something interesting about them. The narrower the light bulb the more watts. I didn't realize the new one I bought was one inch light bulbs (32 watts) and the old one had 1 1/2" light bulbs (28 watts). The new one is much brighter.
I LOVE my simple Shop Fluorescents!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:16 AM

My sewing room that I had built onto my home had 2 sets of 4 foot fluorescent lights. After the fact I was told that they will fade fabric. So recently I had ALL my fluorescent bulbs replaced with ballast free led bulbs. I LOVE them. They are so much brighter. The only ones I was able to replace myself were the 8 foot flourescents in my kitchen which still have the ballasts. The light is so bright. I am so glad I went to the expense and that technology offers the option. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:21 AM

I also have track lighting over where my long arm is. It has 50 watt halogens it 360 lumens and I sweat terribly under them. I just recently purchased led replacements for them. The electrician that removed the ballasts for the 4 foot fluorescent replacements did say not to go below 4000 lumens; lower than 4000 the lighting tends to be have a cream or yellow look to the light. The new halogens are around 500. I'll be blinded by the light! ;~)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:39 AM

I recently painted and re-arranged my sewing room closet. My DH installed two 4-foot 2-strip fixtures end to end. They are the type without the bulbs and according to ratings, supposed to last somewhere around 40 years. I bought them at Home Depot for $139 per fixture. It really lights up my closet! I still have not added lighting to my sewing room because I want to consult a lighting company how/what I should do. I have 2 sconces on one wall and overhead I have a fan with a light in it. I have a free standing OTT light by my machine, a free standing OTT light by my cutting area, a table top OTT light by my ironing area and several table top OTT lights, plus a few other table top lamps directed at my sewing area. I also have one of those clamp on circular light fixtures that has a magnifying glass on it at my sewing area. In addition, I have a lot of sunlight because of windows. But, my theory is that there's never too much lighting! I want to see about having track lighting designed to go all around the room or something that will be as good. My GF has track lighting in her SR in an "X" configuration that's really nice but I need something where I can still have my ceiling fan in the center of the room.