Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lint Bunnies Gone Wild >

Lint Bunnies Gone Wild

Lint Bunnies Gone Wild

Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 PM

Does anyone have any tips about keeping the amount of lint under control in your sewing space? I just cleaned this room less than 3 weeks ago and the lint is thick again already. It's on the fans, the top of my machines, the tops of the door casings, it's everywhere! My patio doors are not necessarily airtight, but it's not dust or dirt; it's lint. Help! It seems to multiply like rabbits (thus, the "bunnies" term, huh?!).
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Banned

I sweep out my quilt studio every other day that I work in there which means about twice a week. I also dust off my sewing machine, longarm machine and frame and other work areas with each quilt I work on. The lint, thread and dust bunnies multiply too fast to let it go.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Rooms I spend the most time in - master bedroom, kitchen, & rec room get cleaned weekly. Sewing room gets cleaned after each project. Cleaning is one of my physical exercise activities, so I rotate which rooms get done. I do work better in a neat & clean environment.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 PM

Our sewing areas do accumulate a lot of "lint bunnies" along with pieces of thread, fabric snippets, and in my house, cat hair!! It is a never ending battle!! But I wouldn't change anything, it's too much fun!!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:29 PM

I have an Oreck air purifier that runs constantly while I am sewing. I still get dust, but not so much. I only vacuum when the project is finished. I give up on cat hair. I'm surprised she has any left. :-)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 PM

My dust-buster(hand-held vacuum cleaner)gets more use in the sewing room than anywhere else in the house.
Anyone designing a sewing room knows that a bare floor is easier to keep free of lint/dust.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

If the air intake for your heat pump/AC is anywhere near your sewing room, be sure to check it more frequently as well. That's where I constantly get the biggest shock.

Jan in VA
Old 04-23-2011, 12:15 AM

I put up a sign no dust bunnies allowed but its obvious they need glasses because they just keep multiplying in the way bunnies do.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I give up on cat hair. I'm surprised she has any left. :-)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Same here but I have two of them......

I clean up everything after each project as I've found it's less problematic and easier to keep up with and doesn't take that much time. It's especially important to clean your machine throughly so it will live a long and healthy life.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:53 AM

I've trained my eyes to not see the dust bunnies. With all the fabric scraps on the floor I can't see them anyway. Unfortunately the rest of the house is suffering the same fate. That is why today is a cleaning instead of sewing day.
DH always says if he wants a clean house we just invite company. I can't get mad because it is true.

Pat