Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Lint in My Machine  OH MY!! >

The Lint in My Machine OH MY!!

The Lint in My Machine OH MY!!

Old 05-29-2010, 04:17 PM

A few years ago I purchased a little vaccum cleaner attachment kit..to clean out all the lint and bunnies inside the sewing machine. It works great..just need to adjust the suction.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:18 PM

I have two industrial machines with motors mounted under the table. To avoid house calls I learned early to keep out the lint and threads (paint brush and tweezers). Only house call has been to replace a burned out motor with a larger one!
Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM

just think o fit this way,,, it is not lint,, it is company,, like the dust bunnies,,lol.. :-D
Old 05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I am always shocked at how much lint is in there. You reminded me, I need to clean my machines again. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:08 PM

It doesn't take long for the lint to build up if you use your machine every day for any length of time. I try to clean mine out every time I change my bobbin! It only takes a few minutes and saves me a headache in the long run!!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:30 PM

:lol: I bought a mini vac made to clean out machines [maybe from Clotilde] years ago and it does a great job,it has tiny attachments that fit my regular vac.
Worth its weight in gold.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:37 PM

I used to use a can of air and read on here that it has moisture and is not good fro the machine. I have used canned air for years and all three of mine are still working fine. Does anyone know for sure about using air? I think the next time I see one of those mini vacuums for computers , I will get one for my machines.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
A few days ago I read a post on here about cleaning out our machine. Well today as I was zooming along on a binding for a quilt my DH wants to give to a co-worker whos wife had a baby my machine started acting up. So I tried to do the usual lint cleaning but it still would just not work right. I remembered them saying to take either the back or bottom off, well, mine is on the side. Lordy me.....and then I realized also that I had jammed some of that lint onto that wheel while trying to get it out.......If I had taken a picture I guarantee you it would have been a whole hand full of lint and that is no exageration. I am still trying to get some of it out but can tell a big difference already. I think I am gonna have to go get that canned air to be able to get the rest out. Told DH I probably just saved him about $100...........
I READ ON HERE THAT I HAVE BEEN MISTREATING MY FEATHERWEIGHT FOR YEARS BY BLOWING OR USING CANNED AIR TO REMOVE THE LINT. NO,NO,NO,IT CAUSES CONDENSATION AND IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR MACHINE. PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR KINDRED SPIRIT FRIENDS AND DONT BLOW...I HAVE STOPPED ALSO. I GET SO MANY GREAT TIPS ON THIS SITE. NANA PAT
Old 05-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Another featherweight fan. How cool is that? I have other machines. I use my featherweight c. 1936.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:30 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

I did not get the canned air. I think I got all the lint out, but I am gonna look for the mini vac for it. My vacumn will not work, I tried, cant get close enough to vacumn anything out.