Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: a little suggestion plz

a little suggestion plz

I am working on a new quilt, proble, most are precuts, but one fabric had alread been washed, and I have already cut some of precuts inot 2 1/2 squares. Suggestions?
    pat design

What kind of suggestions do you need, whether you should wash all the material or not?
    Heather

I've mixed washed and unwashed fabric in at least 7 quilts now. They're a scrap square in a square. You can't tell the difference after they're quilted and washed. Eventually I'll run out of all the prewashed scraps.

Power Poster
    I wouldn't worry about mixing washed and unwashed unless you are worried about a bleeder. Precuts are hard to wash unless you hand wash or use a lingerie bag. Test any ones you suspect may bleed by hand washing in hot water, place them onto white paper towel to dry. If after the're dry you have colour tranfer onto the paper towel, the're a bleeder and you may want to leave them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    What kind of suggestions do you need, whether you should wash all the material or not?
    I dont know if I should try to wash the pre cuts and I cant unwash the prewash fabric which is about 1/2 of quilt, just wonder whether I should get new fabric to replace the prewashed stuff, allthough I really hate the extra expense.
    pat design

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I wouldn't worry about mixing washed and unwashed unless you are worried about a bleeder. Precuts are hard to wash unless you hand wash or use a lingerie bag. Test any ones you suspect may bleed by hand washing in hot water, place them onto white paper towel to dry. If after the're dry you have colour tranfer onto the paper towel, the're a bleeder and you may want to leave them out.
    Some of the precuts are deep red so yes that is a concern, I just cant belileve I was so stupid to not try and test the precuts before cutting them so small I was thinking I might have to do what you suggested, would you press afterwards?
    pat design

QM
    Yes, use Tartan's suggestion, then press them.

Blog Entries
    There was a suggestion here on the board once in regards to washing precuts such as jelly rolls and charms. The QB member hand washed them by hand without manhandling them and rinsed them and then put them in a salad spinner to get the excess water out.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

The quilting will even things out

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    There was a suggestion here on the board once in regards to washing precuts such as jelly rolls and charms. The QB member hand washed them by hand without manhandling them and rinsed them and then put them in a salad spinner to get the excess water out.
    Think I saw that post but had forgotten, plan to wash 1 deep red and dry flat then measure to asses the shrinkage, but think if it does not fade, I will just go with it and see what develops.
    pat design

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast