Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log cabin cutting question >

Log cabin cutting question

Log cabin cutting question

Old 03-02-2014, 02:31 PM
Power Poster

I've made quite a few log cabin quilts, and this is the method that works for me. I use 1.5" strips (just my preference - you can use smaller or larger) and I cut all the logs to length. This is Judy Martin's method, and I think it works best to eliminate wonky blocks. You get immediate feedback with each log that you sew as to whether your 1/4" seam is correct or not.

I set up my set of silverware trays, pull out the scraps, and start cutting 1.5" strips. As soon as a strip is cut I start cutting it into lengths. I try to get various size logs from each fabric, and as I see one of the silverware trays getting full I concentrate on cutting other sizes. You can see this post for pictures of my silverware trays - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...in-t23612.html. I labeled each try so that I can see what it's supposed to hold. When I get ready to start piecing, I chain piece a bunch of blocks using one tray at a time.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:59 PM

Since I'm cutting up scraps, I don't have WOF to choose from. I figured if I made each piece 15" long, I could later cut the pieces into subunits and get at least two units out of each strip. I just wondered if anyone else could see a flaw and/or an improvement on this plan.

Dunster, I think your way is a very good one, but I want to make kits out of these logs, so it will be up to someone else to cut them exactly depending on what colors and sizes they want or need. But yes, organizing the project the way you said works well.