What first brought me to the Quilting Board was a cry for help; a lonestar I'd started had gone terribly wrong. (If interested, see: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99549-1.htm)
I ultimately gave up on that quilt (it's sandwiched and basted, but I may never quilt & bind it).
But I recently found and purchased some fabric that reminded me of the fabric I'd used. Specifically, I purchased "Olivia" by Michele D'Amore for Benartex.
I purchased the florals, solids and some panels (not the stripes).
I also went through a number of my books and read the instructions far more carefully.
Where my initial effort went wrong is that after piecing my 2.25" strips, when I went to cut the angles, I did not measure the width correctly. I remember at the time being frustrated by where I was supposed to measure. Jan Krentz' books (which had inspired me) did not explain it well, but looking again now, I found the answer in a book I've had for probably 20 years-- Amish Quiltmaker, page 112. The key is that when measuring the width of the diagonal (45 degree) strips, you measure kitty-corner, from lower left to upper right of the strip. That's where I screwed up the first time.
Other changes I'm making this time (which I've since learned HERE):
* alternating direction when sewing the strips together
* STARCHING the stripped lengths before cutting them at 45 degree angles. (I'd never starched before in my life.)
I'll post progress here because if *I* had problems, I bet I'm not alone.
Please join me if interested.