Bernina 830 Record: Redux

Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 PM

Default Bernina 830 Record: Redux

I started a thread recently regarding the Bernina 830 I had received from my SIL. It was definitely broken! The handwheel was completely seized up. I got a lot of good info from my friends here on the board (thanks especially to Candace - who figured it out without seeing the machine!). Here's the problem:

You will note a crack on the left side of this gear. I couldn't find it myself - ended up taking it to my OSMG, who replaced it then cleaned and tuned up the machine. Cost was $135, which makes me wonder if it's a good idea to buy older machines with nylon gears! Granted, it sews exceptionally well, but still - what if it happens again? Seems to me there were at least 2 more of these in there.

It was worthwhile for me to have someone else fix this machine, since it was free anyway. But, there are a lot of people like me on the board, who think it's fun to collect a machine or 3 and try to fix them, but are out of our depth in this kind of situation.

Do you experienced fixers recommend that newbies get the older, less complex machines to start with? Or do we jump right in? So far of the four older machines I've gone through, I got one to work well (Featherweight), took two into the shop, and have one in the garage that still needs some puzzling out.

A couple of those machines may have to go, but I'm keeping the Featherweight forever, 'cause I fixed it!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails 20140923_203706.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Banned

"Cost was $135, which makes me wonder if it's a good idea to buy older machines with nylon gears! Granted, it sews exceptionally well, but still - what if it happens again? Seems to me there were at least 2 more of these in there."

Look at it this way: The machine gave how many years of good service before this happened? (and I would probably have had all the gears replaced) With the new gear you can reasonably expect that many more years out of it. That some good machines have nylon/plastic gears or camstacks is just a fact we have to live with. It's up to us to decide whether we think the machine is worth repairing(the ones that can be repaired). And with the advent of 3-D printing, it won't be long before many that are delegated to boat anchor status now will be able to be repaired in the future.

Cari
Old 09-23-2014, 10:11 PM

I did not think to ask the shop guy to replace the other gears . My bad.

oh well, it's fun to try and great to talk to such knowledgeable people. I wonder how the 3-d printer will affect our lives . New gears in 5minutes? New needles? Thread?Fabric? I don't know much as yet.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

You couldn't begin to touch that machine new or used for $135 and it will be useful for may years. AND you didn't waste money on a brand new one that would end up land fill. Go green - sew happy. Miriam
Old 09-24-2014, 03:40 AM

I currently own 3 machines for sure with nylon gears. 2 of them are broken. The gears aren't expensive and will probably be good for another 40 years when they're replaced. I just need to get the nerve and time together to tackle them. My biggest hurdle is I tend to gravitate toward the older black single stitchers and I have a line of them that are getting all my attention at the moment.
The plastic gears are a consideration but if the machine is worth it I wouldn't let it stop me. Your Bernina is one of the few vintage machines that fall into the "worth it" category financially if you have to pay for the work. My machines are only worth it because I like them and will do the work myself. I haven't dug that far into any of my machines yet so I'm hoping they will be a good learning experience.
Rodney
Old 09-24-2014, 05:02 AM

A Bernina 830 record is definitely worth it. The replacement will likely last many years. I think they only have two of these type gears to go out. I inherited my mother's 830 and had the camstack gear replaced. At some point I will likely have the other gear go out but will probably try and do the replacement myself when that happens.

I have a 730 I got cheap at a yard sale and have replaced the camstack gear myself but as luck would have it, now the other gear is broken. It's having a time out cuz it pi$$ed me off.

I am going to be very careful in the future to avoid machines with plastic or nylon when possible...unless it's a fab deal on a Bernina. They are so worth it!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:04 AM

Some Berninas can be had for a song:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/art/4678773090.html

Some are a little bit more:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/art/4649356781.html

And still others cause me to scratch my head:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/art/4646518857.html

The last one is a re-badged Juki (I have a Juki just like it).

There's an 830 Record that's been for sale in this area for $189 for about a year. It keeps appearing on CL. Perhaps a cracked gear.

My honest question (that is related to the FW thread): Are Berninas worth their average prices? I've never sewn on one (that I remember) let alone own one. The Bernina name is so well-known and so highly regarded. I hope I get the chance to test a vintage model, especially the 217.

Last edited by KenmoreRulesAll; 09-24-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I did not think to ask the shop guy to replace the other gears . My bad.

oh well, it's fun to try and great to talk to such knowledgeable people. I wonder how the 3-d printer will affect our lives . New gears in 5minutes? New needles? Thread?Fabric? I don't know much as yet.
No way you should replace funtional gears in the machine. They would have cost you a fortune. The horizontal gear alone is $75 and the other 2 in the machine hardly ever go, aren't easily replaceable, and also cost a fortune. YOu would be looking at at least 400 or 500 in repair bills to do that on gears that aren't faulty.

Berninas aren't simplistic machines, so they're not good for beginners. I have about 10 vintage Berninas and they'll have to be pried out of my clenched fingers. They may be complicated to work on, but they're a wonderful machine that's well worth having.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:25 AM

I'd jump on that 801 in Seattle! The reason I have the Berninas in the first place is that my friend has an 801 that purrs like the sweetest kitten you've ever petted! It make fabulous straight stitches - so much prettier than the ones from my newer machines! I tried out the 830 last night and it sounds almost as sweet - haven't tried the decorative stitches yet.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
I'd jump on that 801 in Seattle! The reason I have the Berninas in the first place is that my friend has an 801 that purrs like the sweetest kitten you've ever petted! It make fabulous straight stitches - so much prettier than the ones from my newer machines! I tried out the 830 last night and it sounds almost as sweet - haven't tried the decorative stitches yet.

And they hold their values like no other manufacturer. They're always in demand.