Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Long rotary cutter lifespan >

Long rotary cutter lifespan

Long rotary cutter lifespan

Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Default Long rotary cutter lifespan

This weekend I was happily cutting away with my "plain vanilla" no bells or whistles, just the bare bone basics Olfa rotary cutter. I have used the exact same rotary cutter ever since I first started quilting around 1991. So we are talking a 25 year old cutter handle (that has been through countless blades). Suddenly I noticed my blade shift. Hmm, I think, that is odd. I assumed the set bolt had backed off. Nope nice and tight. Then I look and the blade is offset from the protector shield, not perfectly centered. When I engaged the shield part of the blade is still exposed. How the heck could that happen?? So I take the whole thing apart and realize the hole that the axle screw goes through has finally distorted from 25 years of use. Instead of a nice round circle it is now an oblong. It must have distorted so gradually over the years I never noticed a change until it finally reached the "event horizon" where the distortion got big enough the screw could shift down.
Now if that isn't a testament for how well these handles are constructed I don't know what is. My Olfa has served me well. I just ordered a new one but stuck with the same basic style as I love that cutter and I am old and set in my ways and don't want to change LOL. I sure hope they make them as good as they used to! I was sad that I had to quit for the day. Luckily I was wrapping up for the day anyway.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I have one I've used for years too. maybe not that long but awhile. still going strong.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:16 AM

Wow! I guess you got your money's worth!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

Hope you like your replacement as much as your original.
I had one of those early KAI handles, the teal and purple one. I purchased it in the 80's or 90's. It fit my hand so nicely! It lasted at least 20 years before I wore out the plastic 'axel'. I loved it to death! Fortunately I was able to pick up a couple on ebay.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I have about a dozen rotary cutters of all brands and styles. They all cut fine. If one breaks it doesn't matter much. I have some I like the color of and will choose those to use more then then the blah color ones.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I too think you got your money's worth from that rotary cutter. Save the parts, never know when they might be useful. So easy to lose the nut or washer when changing the blade.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:18 AM

Wow, you definitely got your money's worth. It never occurred to me that they might wear out that way. I'm glad I've got an extra of my trusty stick shaped 60 mm-- I don't like the new "ergonomic" styles, they just don't fit my hand as well.

Rob
Old 04-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Sorry that you had to get a new cutter. After this length of time Olfa keeping the same design means it is well loved by many. Mine is about the same age if not older than yours. Over the years I have bought a second one (for the time my original one likes to play hide and seek), a smaller one because I was sure I needed it, then finally got one that will take the fancy blades (pinking and waves) but my favorite is the original - it always seems to work the best.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 04-04-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:33 AM

I change cutters and mats too often to know how long they will last.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

My trusty Olfa sidekick is still going strong also. I will check the hole though the next time I put in a new blade. I think it's from the early '90's?