View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 08:54 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Default Long rotary cutter lifespan

This weekend I was happily cutting away with my "plain vanilla" no bells or whistles, just the bare bone basics Olfa rotary cutter. I have used the exact same rotary cutter ever since I first started quilting around 1991. So we are talking a 25 year old cutter handle (that has been through countless blades). Suddenly I noticed my blade shift. Hmm, I think, that is odd. I assumed the set bolt had backed off. Nope nice and tight. Then I look and the blade is offset from the protector shield, not perfectly centered. When I engaged the shield part of the blade is still exposed. How the heck could that happen?? So I take the whole thing apart and realize the hole that the axle screw goes through has finally distorted from 25 years of use. Instead of a nice round circle it is now an oblong. It must have distorted so gradually over the years I never noticed a change until it finally reached the "event horizon" where the distortion got big enough the screw could shift down.
Now if that isn't a testament for how well these handles are constructed I don't know what is. My Olfa has served me well. I just ordered a new one but stuck with the same basic style as I love that cutter and I am old and set in my ways and don't want to change LOL. I sure hope they make them as good as they used to! I was sad that I had to quit for the day. Luckily I was wrapping up for the day anyway.