Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Longarm Quilting Average >

Longarm Quilting Average

Longarm Quilting Average

Old 02-04-2011, 05:55 AM

I'm planning on getting a long arm machine soon. Just how long does it take to quilt a queen size quilt if you work at it steady?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 AM
Power Poster

Like all things quilting it depends on the quilting design. An all over meander that is not too small or an end to end simple panto can be completed in a few hours. It takes me about an hour just to load the quilt top and backing and batting. This includes center measuring on both back and top and I don't have zippered leaders so I pin to my leaders.

Quilting with lots of starts and stops, custom work or stencil work can take much longer. Doing a lot of background fill can also add to the time and the type of fill it is. A tight meander can go a lot quicker then pebbling. It also can add time if you are doing something new or different then what you are used to. There really is no "average" time because each quilt "calls" for it's own quilting design. Also, like so much in quilting, the more you do of a particular design the quicker you get at it.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Like all things quilting it depends on the quilting design. An all over meander that is not too small or an end to end simple panto can be completed in a few hours. It takes me about an hour just to load the quilt top and backing and batting. This includes center measuring on both back and top and I don't have zippered leaders so I pin to my leaders.

Quilting with lots of starts and stops, custom work or stencil work can take much longer. Doing a lot of background fill can also add to the time and the type of fill it is. A tight meander can go a lot quicker then pebbling. It also can add time if you are doing something new or different then what you are used to. There really is no "average" time because each quilt "calls" for it's own quilting design. Also, like so much in quilting, the more you do of a particular design the quicker you get at it.

Well said and explained.....
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Banned

I agree. I Also think that it just depends on the person....I think I work faster than the average bear...peicing, cutting and quilting....so it really depends on the person as well.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by charismah

I agree. I Also think that it just depends on the person....I think I work faster than the average bear...peicing, cutting and quilting....so it really depends on the person as well.
I think you work faster than an overachieving gazelle, LOL!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 AM

i also wonder how long it takes
Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 AM

I don't have a longarm, but my friend is a longarmer and always has a waiting list of customers. She schedules 15 quilts per month before she starts scheduling into the next month. She's a great quilter and has been doing this for years.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:59 AM

I'm wondering because I have a stock pile just waiting on my new machine. I figured I'd practice on some cheater's prints or some tops I bought. then I'll get started.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
I'm wondering because I have a stock pile just waiting on my new machine. I figured I'd practice on some cheater's prints or some tops I bought. then I'll get started.
This is what I did.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 PM

Like the others said it just depends on the design and the person. My grandmother has been doing it for 30 years and is pretty fast with it. An all over meander takes her about 2hrs maybe a little less on a queen size quilt. Now when I do it it can take me about 3hrs. But I just learned how to load a quilt and run the machine a year ago and only get to do it ocassionally.