Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Average cost of quilting a quilt

Average cost of quilting a quilt

When I was in Calf. I had my quilts quilted at a quilt shop and loved the custom quilting that they did. We moved about 7 years ago and now all the quilts I have had done by quilt shops are put on a quilt machine that is computerized and they all come back with the exact same pattern. My question is where can I get my quilts custom quilted and what is the average cost per inch to have them done? Thanks so much for all your help.

There are some very talented quilters on this board. Charisma comes to mind...search for her. She posts lots of pictures. I think she is reasonable too.

Even on a computerized machine there are thousands of patterns available. You could discuss this issue with the quilt shops that are nearby and ask what their options are.

Blog Entries
    Often LA'ers leave their cards and pamphlets on a table at quilt guild shows. Also, if there is a quilt guild in your area, it's worth emailing the guild president to ask. Most guilds have members who do custom long-arm quilting.

Blog Entries
    Please check your PM
    Nikki in MO

I quilt my own quilts, can't help you out. There are lots of people on this board that does quilting for others. You should get more posting here as the get up and moving.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I've seen quilting offered from 1.5 to 2.5 cents per square inch depending on the degree of difficulty of the quilting. I do hand quided, no computerized work and make up my own designs or take inspiration from others I see, but don't follow patterns.

Here's a link to a list of board members offering LAQ services http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...s-t169702.html

Blog Entries
    I'm surprised every one of your quilts have come back with the exact same pattern! Does the shop or LAer not discuss what your preferences are when you drop off the quilt? I've spent many, many hours pouring over the binders full of patterns that my LAer has!

I subscribe to a blog of a long arm quilter in St George...she does GORGEOUS quilting (and may have a waiting list..I dont' know...) PM me if you would like her site or e-mail...
    Beth in AZ
    www.bzyqltr.blogspot.com
    Innova 22' with Lightning Stitch and Pantovision
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Not all of us that longarm for others is listed on the boards roster. I charge 1.0 cents for simple edge-to-edge meandering type quilting, 1.5 cents for a little more design & where you want a certain design in certain blocks or several different designs, 2.0 cents. Of course, the more quilting, the more money because of the amount of thread used & time to complete the quilt. Hope this helps.

My DD is having a LA custom quilt. She drew the designs she wanted and took the design to the LA. Instead of $250 to have it LA'd, it's going to be $500 since it is her OWN design and not one that the LA has on her computerized system. SIL told her NEVER again.

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
    My DD is having a LA custom quilt. She drew the designs she wanted and took the design to the LA. Instead of $250 to have it LA'd, it's going to be $500 since it is her OWN design and not one that the LA has on her computerized system. SIL told her NEVER again.
    Custom is always more expensive. The computerized designs are easier and cheaper. What made her think that she would be charged less????? The LA people need to do a better job of explaining the options and charges for their work. I am starting to compile a list o questions I need answered prior to contracting for the service. Perhaps the LA should also have a checklist too!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Custom is always more expensive. The computerized designs are easier and cheaper. What made her think that she would be charged less????? The LA people need to do a better job of explaining the options and charges for their work. I am starting to compile a list o questions I need answered prior to contracting for the service. Perhaps the LA should also have a checklist too!

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post

Sandy
    She knew before she left what the cost would be. She should be getting it back by late September. She didn't tell SIL what the cost was until she got home without the quilt top. It's a first anniversary quilt for their DD and SIL so that's the only reason she wanted the custom work done on it.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    When I have a custom job, I expect it to cost quite a bit. I don't mind at all. I'm getting real artistry.

I quilt my own quilts, all hand quilted. I cannot imagine having someone else quilt for me. But those who do not quilt, I suppose reaching out is the next best thing.

I know a woman who does custom quilting for 1 1/2 cents per square inch. Some are much more expensive. I would suggest that you look around and ask people for someone to custom long arm your quilt. Word travels about who is good and who isn't. Good Luck.

She knew before she left what the cost would be. She should be getting it back by late September. She didn't tell SIL what the cost was until she got home without the quilt top. It's a first anniversary quilt for their DD and SIL so that's the only reason she wanted the custom work done on it.
    Oh...sorry, I must have missed that! Thanks for pointing it out to me.
    Sandy
    Sandygirl

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sewsew busy View Post
    When I was in Calf. I had my quilts quilted at a quilt shop and loved the custom quilting that they did. We moved about 7 years ago and now all the quilts I have had done by quilt shops are put on a quilt machine that is computerized and they all come back with the exact same pattern. My question is where can I get my quilts custom quilted and what is the average cost per inch to have them done? Thanks so much for all your help.
    I have a lady that does all my quilts. She does computerized quilting and there are dozens of patterns to choose from. I have her use her batting which is cheaper than I can buy it. The last two queen quilts I had done cost me 86.00. She
    is good and fast. If I wanted a custom quilt done I would call on our guild which has several members who do custom quilting at a more expensive rate.

Do you get to talk to the quilter.I insist on a consult with all my ladies.They have a very good idea how their quilt is going to look befor I start.I had an offer to pick up and drop off at a quilt shop in our area.But when I asked how I would consult with the customers,the shop owner said she would talk to them and let me know what they want.I didn't care for that idea.So I declined.They certainly know how to sell fabric,but quilt??????????not so much.You should insist on a consult with the quilter.Some people can't say what they want,because they don't know.But,I have found they definately know what they don't want.Insist.

Even computerized machines allows for all types of quilting designs. We have a lady here that has one of the totally computerized ones and does wonderful work and she gets info from those that want it quilted as to what they are considering in pattern design to be quilted and goes accordingly.

Have you told them what type of design you want or have they asked? I'm assuming no. You should.

I know a couple other ladies you have longarms but not totally computerized and they do the same thing. They ask as to what design the person is considering and if they don't know they make recommendations.

As for price I've seen them charge anywhere from 1.5 cent per square inch to 2.5 cent per square inch and if anything is added they let customers know how much more it will be. Also depends on type threads is used.
    clsurz

Quote Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post

Sandy

I totally agree! Custom designs always cost double or more depending on how much thread is used and extra time to do it.
    clsurz

The quilters I use give me quite a variety of patterns to choose from. I would look around for someone that lets you choose the pattern you want. I have a lady that does an outstaning job. And I think inexpensive. She works out of her house, cash only, and charges about 1/3 to 1/2 what the quilt shops do. I have actually had her do a king size quilt and it only cost me $145. My quilt shop charged me $280 for a twin size. Quite a difference.

Oh good thread, I am looking for someone too. I can't afford alot, and really don't even care how its quilted. I will be watching this thread : )
    Amythyst

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast