Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures" >

Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures"

Looking for advice... bargain fabrics versus more costly "treasures"

Old 09-12-2009, 07:22 AM

At my WalMart, the $4.40 per yd. stuff has went up to over $8.00 yd.! Their fat quarters, which are of inferior quality which is obvious just by touching, are $1.25 each. I talked to one of the ladies in the department about this and learned that when they remodel in a couple of years, they will remodel the fabric dept. right out the door. The lady also told me that their fabric dept. made a lot of profit but the new manager didn't see where it was necessary....especially since they had to hire someone to be in that dept. all the time to cut. They will still have a "craft" department but will not carry anything that requires a minimum wage employee to be there at all times... :(

I really appreciate my LQS even more as I can get everything I need for quilting right there. And while their prices have risen (what hasn't), I can get quality fabric for under $6 yd. :D :D

Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 AM

I wonder how whittles can sell at the price they do... its top of the line and most is the newest.

I look at the new stuff at some places but never buy...I'm a sale girl ...and i buy if the price is right and its pretty...and of course strokeable
Old 09-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Wonder how much net income most LQS actually have at the end of a year?

Inventory cost, facility costs (rent/payments, utilities, maintenance), employees (salaries, benefits, and related taxes), income taxes), insurances, - I probably forgot some of the operating expenses.

It's easy for me to forget about everything that goes into maintaining a business. I think: selling price of goods less cost of goods = profit.

That ain't so, is it???
Old 09-12-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
The lady also told me that their fabric dept. made a lot of profit but the new manager didn't see where it was necessary....especially since they had to hire someone to be in that dept. all the time to cut. They will still have a "craft" department but will not carry anything that requires a minimum wage employee to be there at all times... :(
They actually have a dedicated clerk in fabrics at your Walmart??? WOW. The one near me hardly ever has a clerk nearby. I have had stock guys or sporting goods guys cut my fabric because I couldn't find anyone. Last time I think I waited 20-25 minutes just for someone to show up after numerous calls! If I hadn't desparately needed that stabilizer, I would have left without it.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
It's easy for me to forget about everything that goes into maintaining a business. I think: selling price of goods less cost of goods = profit.

That ain't so, is it???
Don't forget the 3% or more that the credit card companies take on each sale! The smaller the business, the bigger the bite they are allowed to take.

We all LOVE using plastic... especially if we have a rewards card.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM

As a handquilter it is all about the feel to me. If it is for me I go around petting the fabric. If I don't like the feel of it I won't be happy handling it for the time it will take to complete the project. I like the looks of batiks but hate to handle them. I like to use a lot of solid colors to set off the prints etc. I want them to also feel good. I don't care much for civil war prints or Thimbleberries. I will even purchase a bolt of something if it feels good and is a color or print that I think I can use up. I currently have 4 sealed bolts of fabric under my cutting table. One red, one black, a racing black and white check and a bolt of 60 inch muslin. The colors will probably end up either in Linus quilts or as part of baby quilt gifts. The muslin is for my private projects.
Another favorite of mine are panels that I can handquilt to look like applique. I have several made up that look like Baltimore Alblum applique that even fooled other quilters.
Good luck with your shop. Be sure to give us the contact information.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:38 PM

I dont care if its this seasons fabric or last years or the year before as long as i like it and as long as it has a price i can afford so cheaper the better but ofcourse i want it to be reasonable good quality.
I havent doen this a lot, i m a beginner in the fabric world so i dont really know how to pick ut the best fabric or if its anything special to it, i touch it and smell it if i can if not i hope for the best,
I buy a lot from ebay cause Norway is one of the most expensive countries in the world :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

ps, Favoritye fabrics; don t you have an ebay store btw?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
well, now ... this has certainly been a fascinating read. in more ways than one. :lol:

i don't envy anybody who has to decide what to buy in the hope others will like it, too. the idea of having to force myself to buy fabs i hate just because i think somebody else might want it is ... just ... well ... EEEEEEEEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUWWWWWWWWW! :shock:

i try to spend as little as possible per yard so that i can haul away a greater variety of fabs whenever i shop. i get a rash whenever i spend more than $5 per yard (including shipping). over $6? only when i'm desparate for that particular fabric and nothing else will do.

whether online or in-shop, i wander through the fabs in my price range and wait for them to trip me as I go past. (i fall down a LOT in fabric stores. :lol: ) i don't care if they're from a new line or if they've been seen in neanderthal cave paintings. i either like it or i don't.

so, that's my 37 cents (plus shipping & handling, don'tcha know).
Well, Patrice you described my style perfectly! I have a limited amount of money to spend on fabric and the less I pay per yard the more I can buy.
That said someone said to make yourself known as something particular and I think that's the best "advice" I've seen so far.
Wishing you success.
Jo
Old 07-04-2011, 04:18 PM

Aren't you eliminating a whole segment of the quilting world by not catering to the cost consious quilter. Aren't you also giving up a sizeable chunk of money to Walmart, Hancock, and Joann's who always have bargains for their customers who can't afford the top of the line fabrics.
I'm an avid quilter, I have fabric stashed in every nook and cranny of my home, but I don't buy the expensive fabrics. I firmly believe there are modest priced fabrics that will stand up to the "better" fabrics in all areas. Generic drugs are the identical to the name brand - only difference is the price of the name. I choose not to pay extra for a famous name stamped in the margin of the fabric.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I haven't read the entire thread of this conversation and want to comment, even though it may be repetitive. I have never made a quilt fron a complete line of fabric. I love picking and choosing and making it work. That's part of the fun for me. I will buy any fabric I like because I like it not because it is "current". Last years style or color is fine with me if I like it! Hope my two cents helps with your decision.
peace :D

EDIT: Who doesn't love a bargain. If you could carry older end of line fabric for a cheaper price, I think there would be many happy people to see this and take advantage of it.

I do go to a store where fabric is all priced at $3.00 and it is all end of lines and older styles and yes some of the fabric is so thin I don't imagine being able to use it for anything, but lots of the fabrisc is very good quality stuff. How many people really care that it 's "last years model". We buy cars that way!
peace :D

EDIT: I would be glad to pay $6.00 per yd. for good fabric. In my local area LQS have been pricing their goods at an average of $11.00 to $13.00 per yd. for years.