Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for help with this pattern - Woven >

Looking for help with this pattern - Woven

Looking for help with this pattern - Woven

Old 04-25-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Looking for help with this pattern - Woven

Please help!!! I am stumped. I am working on the quilt, "Woven" by Jessica Toye, it is a free pattern I found on the Insprired by Fabric website.
I have all of my strip sets pieced and am ready to add the triangles. I have the template printed off. The problem I am having is matching up the triangles. They don't fit. I have F&P's corner trimmers and have tried to trim the corner to make them line up easier and it isn't. What trimmer should I be using? or Do you think that the triangles in the pattern is over sized so I am supposed to cut it to size?

I am not sure if attaching the pattern to my post is infringing on copyrights so I have not included it. If it isn't, and someone lets me know, I can attach it.

Dee
Old 04-25-2017, 10:31 AM

The instructions say to trim the sides to 10.5 after attaching the triangles so my guess is they are over-sized.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:34 AM

I'm going to agree that the blocks are oversized and trimmed down to size.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:48 AM

So how do I line up the triangle on the strip set set? I want to make sure that they are centered and make the square when sewn together.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnewf View Post
I am not sure if attaching the pattern to my post is infringing on copyrights so I have not included it. If it isn't, and someone lets me know, I can attach it.
Attaching a picture of your work is not infringement and would probably help us see what the problem is. You can also post a link to the pattern,which isn't an infringement since it's already online.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:59 PM

This is a link to the pattern.

http://inspiredbyfabric.blogspot.ca/...-patterns.html

I tried to upload a pic from my camera but i seem to be having a senior moment and cannot get it working.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Just roughly centre the long side of the triangle on the cut corner of the square, right sides together, and sew it down. When you open it up and trim it will be lined up. I've attached a picture - hopefully it helps!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572095[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails oversized-triangle-corners.jpg  
Old 04-25-2017, 01:30 PM

jennifer the pictures are fantastic. i will try it and let you know how i make out.....
Old 04-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I would just add that the key to everything matching up is your cuts on the strip sets, before you add the triangles. The template for the strip sets needs to be accurate, and your cuts based on that template also need to be accurate.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:17 PM

Ok I think I *might* understand what the problem is. Jennifer's illustration is a starting point. When you sew the triangle to your strip set, the corners of the triangle will not match the corners of the strip set. They will hang off a bit. Here's a picture - the red corner peeking represents your triangle. You should stitch right where the pin is, which is 1/4" from the raw edge. When you open your seam up, the raw edges of both patches should be even.

Hope this helps!