Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Looking for ideas for a "Pink Ribbon" quilt >

Looking for ideas for a "Pink Ribbon" quilt

Looking for ideas for a "Pink Ribbon" quilt

Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
Default Looking for ideas for a "Pink Ribbon" quilt

I'm way too excited right now... I just got a very early sneak peek at a new group of "pink ribbon" (breast cancer awareness fabrics) that will be coming out next year. And to make things easy, I'd like to offer a quilt for this group.

I was thinking that maybe a lap quilt would be good? Assuming that these would be made as gifts for patients, what would be a practical size?

Or... do you think people would be interested in a tote bag?

Or... for beginning sewers, or folks who want a really easy project, perhaps... pillowcases?

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:49 PM

I buy the "pink ribbon " fabric for comfort pillows. I cut make them 8" x 10" and stuff very full. They are wonderful for under the arm day and night, under sit belt day in the car and many different ways. I was given one by a family member after my surgery in 2007. It helped me so much, I have made them for the breast cancer center ever since. I have a hard time keeping up because they are so popular.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:35 PM

I like the idea too of the tote bag for those (like me) who want to support the cause. I would also think a lap quilt size would be good. A friend who is going through cancer treatment right now loves the lap quilt I made her. I think flannel as the backing is important too, for comfort and to prevent sliding around.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 AM

lap quilts would be great as my mil was always cold during chemo and slept alot due to the drugs they give you. its a horrible process but im so glad she had the will and strength to fight as it would be even more horrible without her, she is my quilting buddy among many other things.
carla
Old 12-16-2011, 06:20 AM

I like the idea of a tote or lap quilt. The pillow is a great idea too. Real helpful aren't I???? LOL I'm going to save this thread so I can see what you decide.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:26 AM

My friend and I made some lap "comfort" quilts last year. We took tiny pink ribbon and looped it around like the pink ribbon symbol and we bar-tacked it onto the quilt in the middle of some of the blocks. I think it added a "special touch" to the quilts.
Ann O
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 AM

i think the lap quilts (any size between 48-60" x 60-70") are a great idea. they really are comfort quilts. i am making a lap quilt for my friend. she is a fashion designer and hosted a breast cancer survivor fashion show to celebrate bc survivors and all of her clothing featured some shade of pink all the way to purples. i am making this quilt as a surprise for her and since she loves seashells, i am using seashell fabric in colors from pink to purple.

that pillow idea sounds good and i never would of thought of that. since i have not volunteered at any bc treatment centers, i dont have a clear sense what is most needed by those going through treatment. perhaps visiting a bc treatment center or talking to a survivor can give you a good sense of what survivors would find most useful before you start your designing stage. as a bc supporter, i wear a variety of pink ribbons but probably would not carry a tote bag. i had an idea to make some pins to support bc survivors. i will probably still do so and this would involve fabric.

i havent seen much bc themed fabric that i have fallen in love with. i did see some loralie fabric with faces of women on it that i liked, i just need to locate some online to purchase to add to my friend's quilt. good luck with your designing. btw, i just ordered fabric from your shop. i cant wait to see it.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:11 AM

From experience ~ satin pillowcase body with bc fabric for edging. Your hair does not cling to the satin and does not cause friction on your scalp. The tote bag can be used by everyone for packing items to take to keep busy during treatments. The tote bag can also be used for carrying your lap quilt to treatment. I wish you good luck with your project for this is a wonderful idea
Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 AM

The Big Block Quilt pattern from Black Cat Creations!!! I want to do one too...can't wait to see the fabric coming out!!!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I think all of the ideas are good. I think it is so kind of you to want to help out. I think I would like to also. Where would I find the pink ribbon fabric? Is there some site I can go to and sneak peek also?